Duke basketball 2015-16 player review: Sean Obi

Sean Obi

• Year: Redshirt Sophomore
  • Height: 6-foot-9
  • Position: Forward
  • This year’s stat line: 2.7 MPG, 0.5 PPG, 1.0 RPG, 0.1 BPG
  • The Blue Zone’s predicted stat line: 5.0 MPG, 2.0 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 1.0 BPG

Season breakdown:

After transferring from Rice and enjoying a front-row seat to Duke’s 2014-15 national title run due to NCAA transfer regulations, Obi was poised to grab solid utility minutes in his first season on the court for the Blue Devils. The former Owl standout was below team captains Amile Jefferson and Marshall Plumlee and freshman Chase Jeter on the depth chart when his redshirt sophomore campaign began, but the Nigerian-born forward was expected to play at crucial junctures in games to give the rest of the frontcourt a breather while he pounded the boards.

Despite the billing as an option off the bench heading into Duke’s title defense, Obi did not receive as much attention from head coach Mike Krzyzewski as expected. Although Jefferson was sidelined due to a foot injury after just nine games, the injury did not afford Obi any additional playing time. The 6-foot-9 forward appeared in five games before conference play began in January, receiving a maximum of five minutes on the floor in a 105-66 blowout victory against Elon in December. In ACC play, Obi still did not see much action and was limited to two or fewer minutes in four of his last five opportunities on the floor. 

In his last game of the season March 10 against Notre Dame, the redshirt sophomore was forced into action for six minutes due to three different players—Plumlee, Jeter and sophomore Grayson Allen—fouling out in the 84-79 loss. Obi netted two free throws and grabbed four rebounds in the effort, both of which were season highs.

Results relative to expectations:

Obi had a successful freshman year at Rice—scoring 11.4 points and recording 9.3 rebounds per game for the Owls—but was unable to meet expectations in his first year under Krzyzewski. Although many expected his playing time to be limited with a full roster, Obi was expected to step up and provide solid minutes for the Blue Devils once Jefferson was sidelined in nonconference play. As Jeter struggled to adjust to the pace of the college game, it seemed as if Obi had the chance to take the mantle for the Duke frontcourt alongside Plumlee, but he could not capitalize on the opportunity. Instead, the redshirt sophomore will need to make huge strides in the offseason with another class of talented players joining the Blue Devils next year and potentially snagging more of the available playing time from the rising junior. 

Share and discuss “Duke basketball 2015-16 player review: Sean Obi” on social media.