WaDuke, Nasher Café to still accept food points for current students despite opening of West Union

<p>Among the topics discussed at Monday's DUSDAC meeting were the upcoming food truck rodeo and feedback on the Devil's Krafthouse in the West Union.</p>

Among the topics discussed at Monday's DUSDAC meeting were the upcoming food truck rodeo and feedback on the Devil's Krafthouse in the West Union.

Even though there will be many changes to dining options next Fall, current students will still be able to use food points to dine at the Nasher Museum of Art Café and Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club.

Director of Dining Services Robert Coffey and senior Brian Taylor, chair of Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee, confirmed at Monday's DUSDAC meeting that current students will not be impacted by policy changes regarding these two eateries during students' remaining time at Duke. Future students will be able to use Flex points instead at the Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club, more commonly known by students as the WaDuke. 

Coffey emphasized that future students will have 13 new eateries in the West Union to enjoy.

“We’re trying to create community in West Union with all the social spaces,” Coffey said. “The Commons Steakhouse is going to be quite a steakhouse. They’re going to have three different methods of cooking steak, and that will be their steakhouse.”

Coffey said that he could not comment further on the details of the policy and hoped to have the final decision next week.

The opening of the West Union will also impact the hours of operation of Merchants-on-Points vendors. Since most of the West Union vendors will close at 8 p.m., Coffey noted that MOPs will begin delivery after these venues have closed.

These late-night hours were typical of MOPs prior to the West Union’s closure, so vendors will need a reminder of the previous policy, Coffey added.

DUSDAC also discussed the opening of the West Union pub—Devil’s Krafthouse—noting that the eatery is still open to student feedback to improve service.

Although some members commented that Devil’s Krafthouse is hard to find, the committee praised the food and ability to customize meals.

“The deli meats are all roasted in house, seasoned in house,” Coffey said. “You think about pub food and you think about convenience. Not these guys, it is scratch cooking.”

Currently, Devil’s Krafthouse is open from 6 p.m. to midnight Sunday through Thursday and 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. Friday and Saturday. The pub also hosts trivia nights on Thursdays and karaoke on Friday nights.

Coffey also noted that there will not be any traditional soft drinks in the West Union, and instead, there will be flavored waters and teas available at a low price to allow students to enjoy both food and drink. This decision came as a result of student feedback.

In other business:

DUSDAC further discussed the food truck rodeo, which will take place before the Old Duke concert in early April.

The committee hopes to bring many new trucks to campus, especially after the popularity of last year’s event and because several of the current food trucks—including Belgian Waffology, Parlez Vous Crepe and Mixed Korean—are unable to attend. Some of the new trucks under consideration to bring to the rodeo include Taco Grande, Baozi—a truck that specializes in fusion Southern and Asian food, Soomsoom Pita Pockets and Pie Pushers—a pizza food truck.

The location of the rodeo has not yet been determined. Duke Student Government is collaborating with DUSDAC for the event. 

Share and discuss “WaDuke, Nasher Café to still accept food points for current students despite opening of West Union” on social media.