SPORTSWRAP: March 28, 2016

<p>Duke trailed 11-6 at halftime and 14-10 entering the fourth quarter before a 5-0 run gave the Blue Devils their first lead of the day.</p>

Duke trailed 11-6 at halftime and 14-10 entering the fourth quarter before a 5-0 run gave the Blue Devils their first lead of the day.

The Chronicle's Jack Dolgin recaps a busy weekend in Duke athletics. The men's basketball team's season came to a close in the Sweet 16 with an 82-68 loss at the hands of top-seeded Oregon. The men's lacrosse team rebounded from an overtime loss with a dramatic 16-15 overtime win against No. 5 Syracuse, and the women's lacrosse team followed suit with an 11-8 win against No. 16 Virginia. The fencing and swimming teams finished up their seasons with multiple All-America honors, and the track team started its outdoor season over in Raleigh.

Season over: Oregon knocks Duke men's basketball out of Sweet 16, 82-68: The top-seeded Ducks used a balanced offensive attack to put an end to the the Blue Devils’ season with an 82-68 victory Thursday in the Sweet 16 at the Honda Center.

Usual strengths absent as Blue Devils duck out of Sweet 16: Duke relied on 3-point shooting and getting to the free-throw line for most of the season, but the Blue Devils found themselves lacking in those two areas Thursday as Oregon clamped down on defense.

NCAA tournament loss closes curtain on 5-year journey for Plumlee: Thursday night’s loss to Oregon marked the end of a long season for Duke, but for Marshall Plumlee, the clock ran out on his five-year journey as a Blue Devil.

Cohan's game-winner in overtime completes big comeback for Duke men's lacrosse against No. 5 Syracuse: Senior Chad Cohan's third goal of the day stunned the No. 5 Orange 16-15 in overtime Saturday afternoon, completing a four-goal comeback. Senior Deemer Class led the way for most of the afternoon for the No. 11 Blue Devils, pouring in a career-high seven goals and adding two assists as Duke controlled the game late and followed up Tuesday’s crushing overtime loss to Air Force with an uplifting extra-time win to kickstart ACC play.

Duke women's lacrosse continues ACC dominance against No. 16 Virginia: Behind 12 saves from Kelsey Duryea, four goals and one assist from Kyra Harney and a hat trick from Maddie Crutchfield, No. 13 Duke held off No. 16 Virginia 11-8 Saturday at Koskinen Stadium.

Virginia Tech outlasts Duke men's tennis to kick off busy weekend: The Hokies defeated Duke 5-2 after nearly three hours of play Friday afternoon at Ambler Tennis Stadium. Half of the sets played were decided by a margin of two games or less in a contest that could have swung either way.

Duke men's tennis sweeps Sunday double-header against Louisville and N.C. Central: With pouring rain outside, the Blue Devils returned indoors to the Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center—and returned to their winning ways in the process.

Eight-run first helps Wake Forest cruise past Duke baseball 12-0: The Demon Deacons jumped on Duke starter Bailey Clark for eight runs in the first inning and tacked on more from there, defeating the Blue Devils 12-0 in the first meeting of a three-game weekend series.

McAfee's strong start helps Duke baseball end skid against Demon Deacons: Led by seven strong innings from Cornell transfer Brian McAfee, the Blue Devils snapped their six-game losing streak and salvaged the final game of their weekend series at Wake Forest Sunday.

Five Blue Devils earn All-America honors at NCAA championships: Duke earned a 39th-place, seven-point team finish at the four-day NCAA championships at Georgia Tech’s McAuley Aquatic Center in Atlanta thanks to a 14th-place finish by the short medley relay of Kaz Takabayashi, Peter Kropp, David Armstrong and James Peek and a 16th-place performance by Moretti on the three-meter springboard Friday.

Thompson shines in 10,000-meter debut for Duke track and field: Graduate student Shaun Thompson posted the second-fastest time in the nation so far this season in the 10,000 meters, finishing second in 29:02.18 after battling with Jacob Thomson of Kentucky for the win as the Blue Devils kicked off the outdoor season at the Raleigh Relays.

Duke women's tennis dispatches No. 14 Wake Forest on the road: The No. 10 Blue Devils capped off a four-game road swing by defeating the No. 14 Demon Deacons 6-1 at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex in Winston Salem, N.C., Saturday afternoon. Duke got off to a hot start, capturing the doubles point and first singles win to grab a 2-0 lead. But the Demon Deacons proved difficult to put away, grabbing first-set wins on four courts in singles play.

Varsity four win highlights West Coast trip for Duke rowing: Duke head coach Megan Cooke Carcagno wanted to get her team some early-season experience against some of the nation's top teams. The Blue Devils had to go all the way across the country to get it, but return to Durham with one win under their belts.

Quote of the Week:

“[My dad] always claims he ran a faster time than I could, but I don’t know about that. They were doing the hand-times, starting and stopping.”

—Wide receiver Max McCaffrey on his dad, three-time Super Bowl champion Ed McCaffrey, after running a 4.36-second 40-yard dash at Duke's Pro Day Wednesday

Share and discuss “SPORTSWRAP: March 28, 2016” on social media.