New website introduces Durham to potential students, faculty

<p>The University's new website describing Durham features city attractions such as the Durham Performing Arts Center.&nbsp;</p>

The University's new website describing Durham features city attractions such as the Durham Performing Arts Center. 

Potential newcomers to the Bull City—and current Duke students, faculty and staff—can now learn about Duke’s surroundings through a new website called "Duke in Durham."

The website, which launched in early February, was developed by the Office of Public Affairs and Government Relations to introduce Durham to people who are considering coming to work or study at Duke. It provides information about housing, schools, safety, health care and transportation. In addition, it lists attractions and places worth visiting in the city.

“Durham has become one of the most exciting and attractive places to live in recent years,” wrote Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs and government relations, in an email. “The more people know about Durham the better it is for Duke, and vice versa. We’re excited to show off our hometown to the world.”

Schoenfeld noted that the website is also valuable for alumni who may not have visited Durham in years, explaining that they are constantly amazed by changes in the city.

The website includes pictures that showcase Durham's attractions, said Blyth Morrell, assistant director of the Office of Marketing and Strategic Communications and the main designer of the website.

“We want the website to bring Durham to life through the Duke eyes,” she said. “In order to do that, we know we have to rely heavily on imagery that captures the spirit of Durham.”

Morrell added that the website attracts a wide audience because it provides information about the many things that Durham has to offer, ranging from public high schools to night life. Different types of people will be able to find information that is useful to them, she said. 

She noted that the launching of the website is only the start and that more content will be added as the website evolves.

“I think it’s very unusual for schools to have a website that is dedicated to introduce the community that it is located in,” Morrell said. “But a lot of people who know about Duke don’t necessarily know about Durham. The website is very meaningful not only for people who want to come to Duke but also for the Durham community.”

Several current students expressed excitement about the website and noted the need for Duke students to explore Durham more.

Freshman Eudora Miao explained that the website reminds her that she is part of both the Duke and Durham communities. 

"There is such a vibrant community around it," Miao said. "Even during orientation week most of us were not introduced to the rich culture and awesome resources in the Bull City. Durham definitely should be a part of Duke's pride.”

Junior Tanner Lockhead—Duke Student Government’s vice president for Durham and regional affairs—also praised the new website and its potential influence on Duke students.

“Durham is perhaps Duke's most undersold asset,” Lockhead wrote in an email. “It's not just a destination for food or entertainment, but a center for culture and innovation that has been central to Duke's growth. With every passing year, Durham is coming to assume a more central role in the lives of Duke students, and this website is both a reflection of that growth and a call to engage further.”

Share and discuss “New website introduces Durham to potential students, faculty” on social media.