Allen named 3rd team AP All-American, Ingram earns honorable mention

Duke may be out of the NCAA tournament, but some Blue Devils are still racking up accolades.

Sophomore Grayson Allen was named to the AP All-American third team Tuesday, and freshman Brandon Ingram earned honorable mention recognition. Allen was named to the All-ACC second team earlier this month, and Ingram took home ACC Rookie of the Year honors.

The duo combined to power Duke's offense for most of the year and formed the top scoring combination in the ACC, accounting for 38.9 points per contest.

A year after averaging just 4.4 points per game as a freshman, Allen led the Blue Devils in scoring this season with an average of 21.6 points per game, and became just the ninth player in program history to lead the team in both scoring and assists in the same season. His 17.2-point increase in scoring from 2014-15 to 2015-16 set a conference record for the largest improvement in consecutive seasons. 

Allen has garnered several All-American honors already, being named a second-team All-American by Sporting News and CBS Sports and a third-team All American by the National Association of Basketball Coaches. He provided one of the top highlights of Duke's season with a game-winning buzzer-beater at home against then-No. 7 Virginia Feb. 13.

After a slow start to his career, Ingram picked up his game as the season wore on and displayed the talents that made him the No. 2 recruit in his class. Ingram used his 6-foot-9 frame and 7-foot-3 wingspan to serve as a stretch four for the Blue Devils, and proved to be a matchup nightmare for many opponents. The Kinston, N.C., native ranked second on the team in scoring, rebounding and blocks, and averaged 23.0 points per game in Duke's three NCAA tournament games. Ingram was named a third-team All-American by CBS Sports.

Neither player has made an announcement as to whether they will return to Durham for another year or leave and enter the NBA draft.

Share and discuss “Allen named 3rd team AP All-American, Ingram earns honorable mention” on social media.