SPORTS  |  GOLF

Duke men's golf captures Seahawk Invitational crown

<p>Duke claimed a tournament title for the second straight week with its win at the Seahawk Invitational Monday, and junior Matt Oshrine claimed the individual crown with a seven-under-par performance.</p>

Duke claimed a tournament title for the second straight week with its win at the Seahawk Invitational Monday, and junior Matt Oshrine claimed the individual crown with a seven-under-par performance.

After failing to record a team victory through the first six months of the season, the Blue Devils have now captured a pair of tournament titles in two weeks. 

No. 21 Duke finished atop the two-day Seahawk Intercollegiate at the Country Club of Landfall-Nicklaus in Wilmington, N.C., by a seven-stroke margin after entering Monday with a one-stroke lead.  Led by Matt Oshrine—who captured the individual title at seven-under-par—the Blue Devils finished 14-under-par with a total score of 562 in the 36-hole tournament and posted the lowest round in the field during both days of competition.

Oshrine started off strong in Sunday's opening round and finished tied atop the leaderboard along with Army's Marcus Plunkett with a four-under-par 68. The Baltimore native created separation on the final day of the tournament and grabbed hold of the lead for good, carding a three-under-par-69 on the last 18 holes. Oshrine came away with a two-stroke victory and matched the tournament record for 36 holes, and has now recorded back-to-back top-two finishes after finishing second in last weekend's Cape Fear National Intercollegiate. 

The junior was chased all tournament by teammates Alex Smalley and Adam Wood, who finished tied for third and sixth, respectively. The duo entered the final round tied after shooting identical two-under-par 70s Sunday, but Smalley finished two shots ahead of Wood with another 70 on Monday. 

Sophomore Jake Shuman and junior Max Greyserman rounded out Duke's lineup, with Greyserman making a strong push in the final round after a first-round 80. Greyserman's carded a one-under-par round Monday to jump from 70th place to 42nd for the tournament. Shuman finished with scores of 72 and 73 in his two rounds to finish tied for 16th at one-over-par. 

The Blue Devils also received solid performances from four players who competed as individuals. Sophomore Ben Silverman tied his best round of the season with a two-under-par 70 Sunday to enter the final day of play tied for seventh place. Silverman finished tied for 16th after shooting 75 to complete the tournament with a two-round score of 175. 

Juniors Alexander Matlari and Andrew Bieber also competed as individuals and finished tied for 21st and 40th, respectively. Freshman Shrish Dwivedi was the final Duke golfer to play the tournament as an individual and finished tied for 33rd place after finishing four-over-par during the two-day tournament. 

The Blue Devils will next take the course for The Hootie at Bull's Bay Intercollegiate from April 3-5 at Bull's Bay Golf Club in Awendaw, S.C. 

Share and discuss “Duke men's golf captures Seahawk Invitational crown” on social media.