2016 NCAA tournament preview: Villanova Wildcats

Villanova Wildcats

Record: 29-5 (16-2 Big East)

Head Coach: Jay Wright (15th season)

Season Recap: After winning the regular-season conference title, the Wildcats enter the tournament following a tough 69-67 loss against Seton Hall in the championship game of the Big East tournament. Villanova features a balanced attack with seven players averaging more than six points per game. Freshman Jalen Brunson and senior Ryan Arcidiacono provide a contrast of athleticism and experience in the backcourt that carried the team to a 13-5 record against the RPI top 100.

Juniors Josh Hart and Kris Jenkins lead the team in scoring with 15.5 points and 13.3 points per game, respectively. With the Wildcats employing a trio of guards in the starting lineup, Villanova shoots nearly 25 3-pointers a game, despite hitting only 34 percent of its shots from distance.

How they make a run: The Wildcats get favorable matchups against less athletic front lines and use their balanced attack to control the tempo of its games.

How they falter: Villanova runs into another peaking opponent—like they did last year in N.C. State—and struggles to hit from beyond the arc en route to another disappointing first-weekend exit.

Share and discuss “2016 NCAA tournament preview: Villanova Wildcats” on social media.