2016 NCAA tournament preview: UNC Asheville Bulldogs

UNC Asheville Bulldogs

Record: 22-11 (12-6 Big South)

Head Coach: Nick McDevitt (3rd season)

Season Recap: Although UNC Asheville struggled down the stretch—losing two of its last three contests—the Bulldogs rallied to win the Big South conference tournament with an 77-68 win against Winthrop. UNC Asheville was picked to finish seventh in the Big South after coming off a losing season and losing leading scorer Andrew Rowsey, who transferred to Marquette. The Bulldogs proved themselves, however, with an early season win against Georgetown to cap off a five-game winning streak.

UNC Asheville boasts a young roster, starting two freshmen and two sophomores. The Bulldogs’ two leading scorers—freshmen Dylan Smith and Dwayne Sutton—average 13.5 and 12.0 points per game, respectively, and a combined 10.5 rebounds per game. Each of the other three starters also average double-digit scoring, but none of the five measure taller than 6-foot-6. Still, UNC Asheville has managed to shut down opposing offenses by forcing teams into turnovers on 22.4 percent of possessions, which ranks ninth in the nation.

How they make a run: The Bulldogs face No. 2 Villanova in the first round, and this veteran-laden squad will not go down easily. UNC Asheville finds a way to shut down the Wildcat frontcourt and forces Villanova to rely on 3-pointers, where they shoot just 34.3 percent.

How they falter: The Bulldogs' inexperience in the starting lineup shows against Jay Wright and his veteran Wildcats, and UNC Asheville finds itself on the wrong end of a first-round blowout.

Share and discuss “2016 NCAA tournament preview: UNC Asheville Bulldogs” on social media.