2016 NCAA tournament preview: Purdue Boilermakers

Purdue Boilermakers

Record: 26-8 (12-6 Big Ten)

Head Coach: Matt Painter (11th season)

Season Recap: Many teams around the country made the NCAA tournament without a legitimate post presence, but Purdue is not one of them—the Boilermakers have three. 7-footer A.J. Hammons, 7-foot-2 Isaac Haas and 6-foot-9 Caleb Swanigan combine for 36.3 points and 21.3 rebounds per game, setting the tone for a team that started the season 11-0 and notched wins against Michigan State, Maryland and Wisconsin during conference play. 

Swingmen Rapheal Davis—a lockdown defender—and Vince Edwards surround Purdue's big men, with a group of guards on the perimeter who look to provide balance from the perimeter. The Boilermakers tied for third in the Big Ten during the regular season and made a run to the conference tournament title game, where they fell in a close contest to Michigan State.

How they make a run: Swanigan—who averages a double-double—and Purdue's frontcourt powers a team that ranks in the top 25 in basketball statistician Ken Pomeroy's offensive and defensive efficiency metrics to its first Sweet 16 since 2010.

How they falter: A team without a perimeter player who averages more than three assists per game struggles to generate consistent offense and feed the Boilermaker post players, leading to another disappointing tournament loss for Painter's team.

Share and discuss “2016 NCAA tournament preview: Purdue Boilermakers” on social media.