2016 ACC Tournament Preview: North Carolina

<p>Thanks in large part to Brice Johnson's 21 rebounds, North Carolina defeated Duke in the regular-season finale to win the ACC regular-season title outright and secure the top seed in the conference tournament.</p>

Thanks in large part to Brice Johnson's 21 rebounds, North Carolina defeated Duke in the regular-season finale to win the ACC regular-season title outright and secure the top seed in the conference tournament.

North Carolina: 25-6, 14-4 in the ACC

Head Coach: Roy Williams

Leading Scorer: Brice Johnson (16.8 PPG)

Season Recap: North Carolina enjoyed one of its most dominant seasons in recent history after returning all but one major contributor from last season. Five Tar Heels averaged more than 10 points per game through the regular season, with senior Brice Johnson headlining the pack with 16.8 points and 10.8 rebounds per game—making him one of three players in the ACC to average a double-double on the season. Forward Justin Jackson, center Kennedy Meeks and point guard Marcus Paige all contribute to a skilled and seasoned roster, which clinched the program’s first ACC regular-season title since 2012 with a win in Durham against the Blue Devils in the regular-season finale. 

After losing early in the season to Northern Iowa, North Carolina asserted itself as a top contender with a decisive 89-81 win against then-No. 2 Maryland. The Tar Heels rattled off 12 straight wins, but then lost to then-No. 19 Louisville and unranked Notre Dame back-to-back on the road in early February. The Tar Heels split their series against Duke, and added a lopsided 96-71 win against then-No. 11 Miami to bolster their resume. North Carolina also lost a tight contest to then-No. 3 Virginia on the road late in the season. With the emergence of ACC Sixth Man of the Year Isaiah Hicks as a force off the bench, Williams’ squad boasts one of the most intimidating frontcourts in the country, capable of wreaking havoc on the glass to compensate for outside shooting that has failed the Tar Heel guards at times.

How they make a run: Johnson’s dominant play continues into the postseason, and all of the Tar Heels stay healthy through the ACC tournament. North Carolina has a very deep bench—eight Tar Heels play at least 16.0 minutes per game—so the Tar Heels should not face issues in playing games with a quick turnaround, and will get the enjoy the spoils of a double-bye into the quarterfinals.

Share and discuss “2016 ACC Tournament Preview: North Carolina” on social media.