XFactor: Duke basketball vs Notre Dame

After a win against 12th-seeded N.C. State Wednesday, Duke will look to take down Notre Dame for the second time in its last five tries. The Fighting Irish defeated the Blue Devils 95-91 Jan. 16 at Cameron Indoor Stadium, but Notre Dame has lost three of its last five games—including losses to Georgia Tech and Florida State. Before the game, the Chronicle takes a look at one player from each team who could be the difference maker in the upcoming contest.

Duke: guard Luke Kennard

Look for the Franklin, Ohio, native to earn a second straight appearance in the starting lineup come Thursday. After starting for the second time in 11 games against N.C. State, Kennard proved his ability to contribute on the floor and tied for the team-high with 22 points, along with four rebounds and three assists.

In a season defined by inconsistency, Kennard had his best performance of the year when he scored a career-high 30 points against the Fighting Irish in the teams' first matchup. Kennard's play has often been the difference between his team winning and losing, as the guard provides an extra scoring punch alongside sophomore Grayson Allen and freshman Brandon Ingram. If the Kennard can get going early, it could spearhead an offense that exploded against Notre Dame earlier this year and posted 92 points against N.C. State just a day ago. 

Notre Dame: forward Bonzie Colson

Colson is making a name for himself as a Duke killer. Last year in the ACC tournament, the sophomore tied a career-high 17 points on 5-of-9 shooting and effectively torched the middle of the Blue Devils' zone defense. Duke had no answer for the forward again this season as he scored a career-high 31 points, along with 11 rebounds, and made big plays when his team needed them. 

The sophomore is a matchup nightmare for the Blue Devils due to his ability to score in multiple ways. Colson is only 6-foot-5 but bulky, which makes him a tough matchup for Ingram. With keeping Ingram on the floor and out of foul trouble being a big key for Duke, look for head coach Mike Krzyzewski to throw different defenders at Colson throughout the game or resort to a 2-3 or 1-3-1 zone. 

Along with his ability score down low, Colson can also shoot from the perimeter and he knocked down two 3-pointers earlier this year against Duke. The New Bedford, Mass., native has only scored an average of six points during the last four games, and the Fighting Irish are 2-2 in that span. But Colson's athleticism poses significant problems for a Blue Devil front court that can struggle at times and he could be the difference Thursday. 

Share and discuss “XFactor: Duke basketball vs Notre Dame” on social media.