SPORTSWRAP: The Force Awakens

This week's edition of Sportswrap features freshman guard Luke Kennard, who scored 26 points off the bench Saturday against N.C. State as the Blue Devils picked up a second straight win with an 88-80 victory. Sportswrap is your one-stop-shop for the weekend that was in Duke athletics.

Hot shooting from Kennard and Allen helps Duke men's basketball hold off N.C. State: Luke Kennard and Grayson Allen combined for 54 points as the Blue Devils picked up an 88-80 win against N.C. State Saturday at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Reliance on the long ball propels Blue Devils Saturday: Live by the 3, die by the 3 has been a mantra for Duke in ACC play: The Blue Devils’ up-and-down ledger in ACC play is the result of a team that relies on the streakiest aspect of the game—shooting—and, in particular, shooting from behind the arc.

A time-tested bond: Cutcliffe heads to Super Bowl 50 for Manning, former Blue Devils: Peyton Manning took the field in Sunday's Super Bowl 50 and walked off a champion. Back in 2011, a return to football's biggest stage seemed highly improbable, but David Cutcliffe helped prepare Manning for a comeback.

Greenwell, Salvadores lead Duke women's basketball past Virginia: On a night when the Blue Devils were without their best forward, a tandem of guards stepped in to assure Duke the victory.

Stevens tears plantar fascia Monday, status day-to-day: Sophomore forward Azurá Stevens missed Thursday's 67-52 win against Virginia and is listed as day-to-day after tearing the plantar fascia in her left foot Monday against No. 3 Notre Dame.

In Stevens' absence, Duke defense shines as other players step up: Bouncing back from a heartbreaking loss defeat against No. 3 Notre Dame, Duke hustled through the final buzzer and silenced any Cavalier attempt to make a late run.

Stevens to miss second straight game: Sophomore Azurá Stevens traveled with the team to Miami, but will be sidelined yet again Sunday afternoon by a torn plantar fascia in her left foot.

Shooting struggles doom Duke women's basketball in 61-53 loss at Miami: Duke missed 25 straight shots in the final 15:01 of the first half and shot just 4-of-33 from the field before intermission, putting the Blue Devils in an hole that proved insurmountable in a 61-53 loss to Miami Sunday at the BankUnited Center.

Offensive outburst powers Duke women's lacrosse past Campbell in season-opener: Behind a relentless offensive attack, No. 4 Duke opened its season in convincing fashion with a 20-4 rout of Campbell 20-4 Thursday afternoon.

Early lead disappears for Duke women's lacrosse in top-5 showdown with Northwestern: No. 5 Duke took a 5-2 lead in the opening period against No. 4 Northwestern at Koskinen Stadium, but the Wildcats stormed back with six unanswered goals and hung on from there to win 11-8.

Clark completes 'Project Four-Sixty' at Armory Collegiate Invitational for Duke track and field: Senior Megan Clark won the women’s pole vault at the Armory Collegiate Invitational in New York with a new school and conference record of 15 feet, 1 inch—good for the top mark in the nation so far this season.

Duke wrestling falls at Virginia on short turnaround: Despite wrestling with a full lineup for three straight duals, Duke was shorthanded once again Friday as it failed to capture its first win in ACC play with a 22-12 defeat at the hands of No. 19 Virginia at Memorial Gym in Charlottesville, Va.

Duke men's tennis swept at Michigan to conclude weekend road split: The No. 25 Blue Devils started the weekend with a 4-3 win at Tennessee Friday evening, but were swept out of Michigan's Varsity Tennis Center 7-0 by the Wolverines Sunday, handing Duke a fifth loss in six matches.

Eckhart's 2 victories cap Carolina College Invitational for Duke swimming and diving: Duke wrapped up the three-day Carolina College Invitational Sunday, with senior Kathryn Eckhart stealing the show on the women’s side by sweeping the 50- and 100-yard freestyle sprints.

Quote of the Week:

"He assigns some of them old movies they have to watch to play with him. If you don’t get Caddyshack, then you don’t have any business playing with him"
—Duke football head coach David Cutcliffe, on Peyton Manning's relationship with younger players

Share and discuss “SPORTSWRAP: The Force Awakens” on social media.