DUSDAC begins planning for food truck rodeo Monday

<p>DUSDAC also talked about upcoming changes to Marketplace's organizational structure Monday</p>

DUSDAC also talked about upcoming changes to Marketplace's organizational structure Monday

Duke Student Dining Advisory Committee made plans for its annual food truck rodeo during its meeting Monday evening.

The committee discussed possible vendors that will accompany the seven food trucks that regularly visit campus during the food truck rodeo event, which will be held before the annual Old Duke concert later in the Spring. Members mentioned the pros and cons of inviting vendors including Soomsoom Pita Pockets, American Meltdown, Taco Grande, Grillmaster’s and Qspresso, a food truck featuring Cuban cuisine. 

Some members raised concerns that the American Meltdown food truck—which exclusively serves grilled cheese sandwiches—did not have broad enough offerings. However, the committee decided that most students would enjoy the different varieties of grilled cheese offered by the vendor.

“Now that West Union is opening up, it makes sense for food trucks to be a niche thing,” said DUSDAC committee member Regan Fiascone, a senior.

Members decided to limit the number of new vendors at the food truck rodeo to five, noting that students will not be able to give the committee valuable feedback if there are too many food trucks.

In other business:

DUSDAC discussed upcoming changes to the organizational structure of Marketplace. Barbara Stokes, assistant director of dining services, will be operating Marketplace beginning June 1, and Bon Appetit catering service will no longer be involved. Previously, Duke administrators hired Bon Appetit to manage the location and the Duke employees working there.

“This makes our job easier because it will be easier to make changes,” said DUSDAC chair Brian Taylor, a senior.

Taylor noted that the cafeteria workers that students interact with most—such as those working the serving lines and the omelet station—will remain the same because they are employees of Duke, not Bon Appetit.

The committee also talked about problems with current on-campus eateries and MOP vendors.

Quinn Steven, a sophomore and DUSDAC committee member, said that she has received negative feedback about the Dunkin Donuts as an MOP vendor.

Problems with Dolce Vita, the café located in French Family Science Center, were noted by committee member Olivia Deitcher, a sophomore. She said that she has heard numerous complaints from students about unfriendly workers and stale food.

“Some people have said they would rather have vending machines there,” Deitcher said.

Steven added that there is a need for an early morning eatery on Central Campus because Dame’s Express does not open until 10 a.m. The committee discussed the possibility of Guglhupf Bakery becoming a vendor on Central.

Share and discuss “DUSDAC begins planning for food truck rodeo Monday” on social media.