XFactor: Duke basketball vs Louisville

<p></p>

After beginning a four-game stretch against ranked opponents with three straight wins, the 20th-ranked Blue Devils hit the road to take on No. 18 Louisville Saturday at noon. The contest holds massive conference standings implications for Duke as it sits just one game out of the top spot in the ACC. The Blue Zone takes a look at one player from each team who could be the difference in the game:

Duke: forward Chase Jeter

Yes, the freshman has not looked comfortable on the floor at all this season and still struggles to defend without fouling. But resorting to only five players for much of the contest against the physical Cardinals is something head coach Mike Krzyzewski likely won't do.

Jeter—who averages just seven minutes a game this season—will have to contribute during his additional time on the floor and provide enough of a boost to spell the starters a couple minutes of rest. The big man certainly won't be featured in Duke's offense, but activity around the hoop with tip-ins or occasional alley-hoops will provide the team with much-needed easy baskets against a Louisville defense that ranks second in the conference in scoring defense.

On the other rend of the floor, Jeter must do a better job putting a body on his opponents and going up strong for rebounds. Earlier in the week against North Carolina, Jeter's time on the floor allowed the Tar Heels to attack relentlessly in the paint and come up with offensive rebounds time and time again.

The freshman's contributions don't need to come exclusively in the box score. If Jeter can do a solid job boxing out defenders and contest shots in the paint without fouling, the Blue Devils have a chance to steal a victory Saturday.

Louisville: forward Jaylen Johnson

Despite being held to just two points on 1-of-4 shooting in the first matchup between the teams, expect the sophomore to take his play to another level Saturday. The forward averages just 5.1 points per game this season, but is capable of scoring in the low-block and corralling misses on the offensive end.

With the Blue Devils sorely lacking depth, Johnson is the kind of player that could contribute to Duke's fatigue with his relentless motor and scrappiness. The sophomore may be relied upon a little more than usual with the Cardinals eager to attack Marshall Plumlee—the only post player on the roster with substantial game experience.

If Johnson can make the gritty, hustle plays that have come to characterize his role on the Cardinals, the Blue Devils could be facing the possibility of defeat at the end of a grueling, four-game stretch. 

Share and discuss “XFactor: Duke basketball vs Louisville ” on social media.