XFactor: Duke basketball vs Virginia

Following its big win Monday against Louisville, the Blue Devils continue their four-game gauntlet with a stiff test against No. 7 Virginia. The Cavaliers enter the game on a seven-game win streak and will bring their tenacious defense to Cameron Indoor Stadium looking for revenge after a close loss to Duke a year ago. Before each game, the Chronicle takes a look at one player from each team who could be the difference maker in Duke's upcoming contest:

Duke: guard Luke Kennard

Since the start of conference play, the freshman guard has averaged 14.3 points per game, including 26 big points last Saturday against N.C. State. Against a much stiffer and more aggressive Louisville defense Monday night, Kennard played only 20 minutes, but scored 11 points in his limited action. The road doesn't get any easier for the Blue Devils as the ACC's top scoring defense visits Durham. The Cavaliers have held their last four opponents to 50 or fewer points and on the season, they are forcing over a dozen turnovers per game.

Expect the Franklin, Ohio, native to receive attention much of the evening from Virginia's star guard Malcolm Brogdon. A talented two-way player and the Cavaliers' leading scorer, Brogdon ranks second on his team in rebounds per game and has proven to be one of the best defenders in the country

If Duke has any hope of ending the Cavaliers' seven-game win streak and extending its own winning streak to four—including two straight against ranked opponents—the Blue Devils will need Kennard to make an impact in multiple ways. The freshman knocked down a pair of three-pointers Monday night and if he can find his perimeter stroke early, Duke has a chance to start the game strong. Last year, four of the team's five starters posted double-figure points against Virginia and Saturday should be much of the same. That being said, Kennard must get hot and put points on the board, as he will be a critical piece of the Blue Devils high-powered offense. 

Virginia: forward Anthony Gill

Even though the redshirt senior is listed at 6-foot-8, add in at least another inch for his prominent hairstyle. The second-leading scorer for the Cavaliers—averaging 14.3 points per game—is a presence in the paint and contributes on both ends of the floor. The big man operates almost exclusively down low and at 2.2 offensive rebounds per game, Gill often gets second opportunities to score. With points at a premium for the Blue Devils against a stellar Virginia defense, keeping the forward off the boards will be key.

With senior Amile Jefferson still sidelined by a foot injury, Duke has a major depth problem inside. 6-foot-9 forward Brandon Ingram and 7-foot center Marshall Plumlee are the only Blue Devils with the height to match Gill, but given that the Cavalier frontcourt standout outweighs Ingram by 40 pounds, Duke will have trouble matching up with him. 

Gill certainly has the potential to control the game in the paint, so it will primarily be on Plumlee to slow him down. Last year, the Blue Devils had the length to contain Gill—who scored just four points in 19 minutes of play. This year, though, is a different story. If Virginia can establish its big man early and often, it could spell serious trouble for a Duke defense that has been vulnerable often this season.

Mitchell Gladstone | Sports Managing Editor

Twitter: @mpgladstone13

A junior from just outside Philadelphia, Mitchell is probably reminding you how the Eagles won the Super Bowl this year and that the Phillies are definitely on the rebound. Outside of The Chronicle, he majors in Economics, minors in Statistics and is working toward the PJMS certificate, in addition to playing trombone in the Duke University Marching Band. And if you're getting him a sandwich with beef and cheese outside the state of Pennsylvania, you best not call it a "Philly cheesesteak." 

Share and discuss “XFactor: Duke basketball vs Virginia” on social media.