XFactor: Duke basketball vs Louisville

Winners of two straight, the Blue Devils begin the toughest stretch of their regular season Monday night against Louisville. The Cardinals have won six of their last seven—including an upset last Monday against then-No. 2 North Carolina—but the program announced Thursday it was imposing a ban on postseason play amid an alleged recruiting scandal. Before each game, the Chronicle takes a look at one player from each team who could be the difference maker in Duke’s upcoming contest.

Duke: guard Derryck Thornton

The Chatsworth, Calif., native returned to the starting lineup against Georgia Tech Tuesday night and stepped up in a big way. The point guard hit 7-of-11 field goals for 15 points—the freshman's highest total in conference play. Saturday against N.C. State Thornton shot efficiently and played strong defense against Anthony "Cat" Barber—the conference's leading scorer—during the game's first 15 minutes.

When Thornton drives, the guard is capable of penetrating opposing defenses with his slick crossover and smooth handle. Thornton needs to continue to attack the basket rather than stay on the perimeter, which will allow the team to space its sharpshooters much better. 

But Saturday's game also hinted at the freshman's occasional struggles against press defense. On two straight plays in the second half, Thornton gave up two inexcusable turnovers that led to four momentum-changing Wolfpack points. If the freshman can hold onto the ball and penetrate against an extremely physical Cardinals defense, the Blue Devils have a chance to come away with a win. 

Louisville: center Chinanu Onuaku

One of the Duke's biggest weaknesses this season has been the team's interior defense. The Blue Devils will have their work cut out for them to stop the Lanham, Md., native if they hope to knock off the Cardinals. Onuaku has recorded seven double-doubles in conference play and averages 10.1 points and 8.8 rebounds per game this season. 

The center has been shooting free-throws well as of late—making 15 of his last 21—even if he happens to do it in his underhanded, headline-making style. Onuaku's biggest weakness is his tendency to get in foul trouble and that could be a problem once again with Grayson Allen attacking the hoop and graduate student Marshall Plumlee serving as a physical presence down low. Plumlee can take the wind out of the Onuaku's sails if he goes at him in the post and keeps his hands up on defense. Duke must account for the big man on the glass and force the big man into foul trouble if they hope to emerge victorious Monday. 

Share and discuss “XFactor: Duke basketball vs Louisville ” on social media.