Around the ACC: Week 13

With conference play in full swing, the upsets keep coming in a conference that appears as deep as any in the nation. The Blue Zone takes a look at the week for the teams in the ACC: 

1. North Carolina (19-2, 8-0 in the ACC): The No. 2 Tar Heels solved their recent shooting woes Saturday against Boston College, obliterating the Eagles with a 89-62 win in Chapel Hill. Brice Johnson turned in 17 points and 11 rebounds to lead three players in double-figures, and North Carolina forced 23 Boston College turnovers to blow the game open. The week ahead will be one of North Carolina's toughest the rest of the way, with road games at No. 19 Louisville and Notre Dame.

2. Louisville (17-4, 6-2): The Cardinals ran the gamut of offensive efficiency this week, dropping 91 points in an eight-point win at Virginia Tech before being held to 47 in a 63-47 rout at the hands of then-No. 11 Virginia. Louisville managed just 14 points in the first half as the Cavaliers dealt Rick Pitino's squad its most lopsided loss in the history of the KFC Yum! Center.

3. Virginia (17-4, 6-3): Yes, the Cavaliers were awfully impressive Saturday in Louisville, but they were just as lucky Tuesday at Wake Forest, when Virginia drilled three 3-pointers in the final 15 seconds to stun the Demon Deacons 72-71. Darius Thompson banked a one-handed 3-pointer off the glass from the wing as time expired to help the Cavaliers escape after overcoming a 10-point deficit in the final 1:30.

4. Pittsburgh (17-4, 6-3): The Panthers found out the hard way what ACC teams have been discovering all season: It's hard to win at Bon-Secours Wellness Arena. Clemson took down Pittsburgh 73-60 Wednesday night, but the Panthers responded with a convincing win against Virginia Tech Sunday, led by Sheldon Jeter's 23 points and seven rebounds.

5. Notre Dame (15-6, 6-3): The Fighting Irish clearly missed point guard Demetrius Jackson Thursday and looked lost against Syracuse's 2-3 zone, falling 81-66 at the Carrier Dome. Jackson returned from his hamstring ailment Sunday, though, and Mike Brey's squad looked good as new—five Notre Dame players scored in double-figures in an 85-62 win against Wake Forest, powered by Jackson's bursting-at-the-seams stat line of 14 points, seven rebounds, eight assists and six steals.

6. Clemson (13-8, 6-3): After stringing together three straight home wins against top-16 opponents before a loss at Virginia, Clemson bounced back with a win against Pittsburgh. But Florida State trapped the Tigers 76-65 in Tallahassee with center Landry Nnoko mired in foul trouble and the team shooting just 33 percent from the floor. 

7. Miami (16-4, 5-3): After an 80-69 win against then-No. 24 Duke in which Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan carved up the Blue Devils, the Hurricanes came to Raleigh and were sent packing by N.C. State 85-69. McClellan and Rodriguez combined for 33 points but were outdone by the Wolfpack backcourt. Miami will try to get back on track Wednesday when Notre Dame comes calling.

8. Syracuse (15-8, 5-5): Trevor Cooney scored a team-high 22 points and three other Orange added 15 points apiece as Syracuse beat up on Notre Dame Thursday at the Carrier Dome. Offense was harder to come by Saturday, but Syracuse made enough plays to outlast Georgia Tech 60-57 and win for the fifth time in six games.

9. Duke (15-6, 4-4): The Blue Devils played just once this week, but suffered their fourth loss in their past five contests Monday at previously-No. 15 Miami, likely costing Duke its spot in the top 25. Brandon Ingram and Grayson Allen did their part on the offensive end, but the Blue Devils tired down the stretch against the Hurricanes and will end an eight-day layoff Tuesday at Georgia Tech.

10. Florida State (14-7, 4-5): The Seminoles enjoyed a perfect week for the second time in ACC play, topping Boston College and Clemson by double-digits. Freshman Malik Beasley led the way against the Eagles with 22 points, and classmate Dwayne Bacon sizzled against the Tigers with 21 as Florida State survived a quiet night from star Xavier Rathan-Mayes.

11. Virginia Tech (12-10, 4-5): The Hokies struggled to stop anyone from scoring this week, giving up 91 points to No. 16 Louisville before allowing 90 to Pittsburgh Sunday evening. Seth Allen scored a career-high 28 points in the loss to the Panthers, but it could not save Buzz Williams' squad from a fourth straight loss. The schedule does not let up, with Syracuse and Clemson on the docket for Virginia Tech this week.

12. Georgia Tech (12-9, 2-6): The Yellow Jackets emerged from Raleigh with a 90-83 win at N.C. State Wednesday in which they nearly blew a double-digit lead. Georgia Tech had a chance to pull off a road sweep with a win at Syracuse, but two Malachi Richardson free throws with three seconds left kept the Orange afloat.

13. N.C. State (12-10, 2-7): Head coach Mark Gotffried was not pleased after Wednesday's loss to Georgia Tech, and his team responded Saturday against Miami. Point guard Anthony "Cat" Barber followed up a 36-point onslaught against the Yellow Jackets with 30 points—including a perfect 10-of-10 from the charity stripe—and N.C. State outrebounded a physical Hurricane squad 41-23.

14. Wake Forest (10-11, 1-8): Danny Manning was about to record his first marquee home win, until Virginia snatched it away from him with a comeback for the ages. The Demon Deacons were their own worst enemy Tuesday, missing four of their final seven free throws down the stretch. Things did not get better Sunday at Notre Dame, as Wake Forest gave up 46 first-half points. Devin Thomas had 19 points and Bryant Crawford had 20, but no other player scored more than six.

15. Boston College (7-14, 0-8): The Eagles remain winless in ACC play after setbacks against Florida State and North Carolina. A brutal stretch continues for Boston College, which must play at Virginia Wednesday and at Louisville Saturday before playing the Tar Heels for the second time in 10 days Feb. 9 in Chestnut Hill

Share and discuss “Around the ACC: Week 13” on social media.