Duke to begin metal detector screening at men's basketball games

The metal detectors will debut Feb. 6 against N.C. State

<p>Metal detectors sit outside Cameron Indoor Stadium before Saturday's game between Duke and N.C. State.</p>

Metal detectors sit outside Cameron Indoor Stadium before Saturday's game between Duke and N.C. State.

Duke will begin metal detector screening at men's basketball games at Cameron Indoor Stadium beginning Feb. 6 against N.C. State, the athletics department announced Friday.

Up to 20 metal detectors will be installed at entrances to the venue, with fans required to place cell phones, keys and other large metal objects in a small bowl before passing through the detector.

Gates to Cameron Indoor Stadium will continue to open 90 minutes before game time for students and 60 minutes before tip-off for the general public.

“To be sure, additional safety measures are becoming more necessary at popular venues, athletics or otherwise, around the country,” Duke vice president and director of athletics Kevin White said in a press release. “It is not only our desire, but our obligation, to provide everyone entering Cameron with a first-class – and ultimately a safe – experience.”

Duke associate director of game operations and championships Becca Wilusz compared the metal detector screening to the screening protocols currently used by MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL teams. N.C. State and Louisville are two ACC schools that already use metal detector screening.

The metal detectors will be used as a pilot program for potential use at other Duke sporting events.

The court will no longer be open to the public following games.

Share and discuss “Duke to begin metal detector screening at men's basketball games” on social media.