Duke makes headway on campus facelift

<p></p>

Although the construction fences and scaffolding did not disappear from campus during winter break, some significant strides were made in time and will continue as the new semester unfolds.

Marketplace

The newly renovated Marketplace—which includes a revamped servery with an Asian Bun station and wood fired pizza ovens—officially opened last Tuesday with a ribbon-cutting ceremony.

“This renovation will have a huge impact on customer service and meeting real needs of students, faculty and employees,” wrote Director of Dining Services Robert Coffey in an email.

Renovations to Trinity Café were also completed during winter break, and the space now contains a performance stage and multiple televisions. In addition, the improvements to the foyer and kitchen were finished. Although the meeting rooms for FOCUS students are not yet completed, Coffey said that they should be open soon.

Duke Chapel

The focal point of West Campus has been under construction since graduation weekend for the Class of 2015. Sarah Burdick, director of administration and special projects, wrote in an email that the ceiling restoration has been completed and that the roof replacement is scheduled to be completed by Feb 1. The remaining work includes reinstalling seven stained glass windows, cleaning the exterior limestone and installing new spotlights and a new sound system. The Chapel is scheduled to reopen May 1.

West Union

After two and a half years of renovations, Devil’s Krafthouse—the pub in the West Union—is slated to open Feb. 29 with the rest of the West Union opening June 1, Burdick explained. The roof of West Union has been replaced and a glass curtain wall, which faces Kilgo Quadrangle, has been erected. Burdick added that the crane will hopefully be removed in March, depending on the weather. The plaza is currently being reconstructed and should be reopened to the public once the crane is no longer there.

Student Health and Wellness Center

Construction on the 70,000 square foot Health and Wellness Center is currently in progress as the steel structure of the building has been erected. Located on the corner of Union Drive and Towerview Road, the center will unite Student Health, Counseling and Psychological Services, the Wellness Center and the Office of Case Management in a single facility. The project is expected to be completed in January 2017, a delay from its initial goal of Fall 2016.

Arts Building

In anticipation of inclement weather this Winter, the groundbreaking ceremony for the new arts building has been postponed. The site of the building—which will be located on the corner of Anderson Street and Campus Drive—has been cleared, and the ground is being prepared for pouring the foundation. The $50 million building, partially funded by a donation from David Rubenstein, Trinity ’70, will be home to the Dance program and the Arts and the Moving Image certificate program and will contain a 200-seat performance theater, 100-seat film theater, space for video production and a radio station.

Cameron Indoor Stadium

As basketball season gets into full swing, the expansion project on Cameron Indoor Stadium remains in progress. The addition to the south end of the building is under construction, but the exterior stonework is nearing completion, Burdick wrote. The project is expected to be completed this August.

Share and discuss “Duke makes headway on campus facelift” on social media.