XFactor: Duke basketball vs Wake Forest

<p>Freshman Luke Kennard caught fire in the second half, finishing with 17 points in the Blue Devil victory.</p>

Freshman Luke Kennard caught fire in the second half, finishing with 17 points in the Blue Devil victory.

After winning its first true-road game of the season at Boston College, Duke (12-2, 1-0 in the ACC) travels to Winston-Salem to take on Wake Forest (9-4, 0-1) in the team's second game of conference play. The Blue Devils will look to build on one of their best defensive performances of the season with another solid game on both ends of the floor. Before each game, the Chronicle takes a look at one player from each team who could be the difference maker in Duke’s upcoming contest:

Duke: guard Luke Kennard 

In the first ACC game of his career, the freshman delivered with a balanced all-around performance. Kennard shot 7-of-11 from the field to go along with 17 points and five rebounds in 27 minutes of action. Without senior captain Amile Jefferson—who is out indefinitely with a fractured right foot—Kennard will need to continue contributing on the glass and producing when the team's starters rest.

In his last three games, Kennard has averaged 14.7 points and five rebounds, and can build on his momentum against the Demon Deacons. Look for the Franklin, Ohio, native’s ability to slash to the basket and draw fouls to be key as Kennard is shooting 92 percent from the free-throw line thus far this season. If the 6-foot-5 guard can translate his ability to score off the bench into a big game and provide a boost off the bench, the Blue Devils should leave Winston-Salem with a victory.

Wake Forest: forward Devin Thomas

The Demon Deacons’ senior forward is one of the top big man in the conference. Thomas is truly a threat on the boards—an area Duke can occasionally struggle—and a huge offensive force that is sure to challenge center Marshall Plumlee. Thomas is one of three players in the conference averaging a double-double and has put up 16.4 points and 10.2 rebounds per contest this season. With only Plumlee and freshman Brandon Ingram consistently grabbing boards for the Blue Devils, Duke could struggle to rebound misses and give up second-chance points.

Thomas is an efficient scorer and has shot 57 percent from the field. If the senior gets going early and uses his rebounding ability to fluster the Blue Devils, Wake Forest might be able to steal a resume-boosting victory from the Blue Devils. 

Share and discuss “XFactor: Duke basketball vs Wake Forest” on social media.