1966 Final Four team and 1991 title team honored at Cameron Saturday

Greatness was in the air at Cameron Indoor Saturday afternoon.

During halftime of the Blue Devils' 82-58 win against Virginia Tech, the program honored the 1966 team—which reached the Final Four—and the 1991 team—which won the school's first national championship.

More than ten former players and student managers lined mid court to celebrate the teams' 50th and 25th anniversaries. Among those present were 1991 teammates Grant Hill and Greg Koubek.

The 1966 team was the third Duke team to reach the Final Four, after the 1963 and 1964 teams also did under head coach Vic Bubas. The Blue Devils would reach a fourth in 1978 under the helm of the late Bill Foster, before current head coach Mike Krzyzewski led the program to 12 appearances and five national championships.

The 1966 team also played against head coach Dean Smith of North Carolina in his first employment of the famous "four corners" delay strategy. On Dec. 14, 1965, the team became the first in school history to be ranked number one in the Associated Press national poll, though it finished the season with an 83-79 loss to Kentucky in the national semifinals.

The 1991 team won the championship in Indianapolis after defeating top-ranked UNLV in the semifinals by two points and Kansas in the title game 72-65. The Blue Devils would go on to repeat the following year with the 'Laettner shot' and become one of the premier basketball programs in the nation. Of course, the program's run of success in Indianapolis has continued as Duke hoisted national championship trophies in the city once again in 2010 and 2015. 

Share and discuss “1966 Final Four team and 1991 title team honored at Cameron Saturday ” on social media.