The Chronicle's Top 10: Rasheed Sulaimon's dismissal from Duke basketball

With the end of 2015 quickly approaching, The Chronicle's sports department takes a look back at the biggest sports stories of the year. Each day, The Blue Zone will review a major game, event or storyline that helped shape the course of the year in Blue Devil athletics.

Coming in at No. 3 on our list: The dismissal of junior guard Rasheed Sulaimon from the Duke basketball program, and the allegations that later surfaced.

A day after the Blue Devils fell on the road at Notre Dame in a close contest, Duke announced that head coach Mike Krzyzewski had dismissed Rasheed Sulaimon from the team—the first player ever dismissed during Krzyzewski's then 35-year tenure in Durham.

"Rasheed has been unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of our program," Krzyzewski said in a press release announcing the dismissal. "It is a privilege to represent Duke University and with that privilege comes the responsibility to conduct oneself in a certain manner. After Rasheed repeatedly struggled to meet the necessary obligations, it became apparent that it was time to dismiss him from the program.”

Sulaimon averaged 11.6 points per game as a freshman, earning a spot on the ACC All-Freshman team as the Blue Devils advanced to the Elite Eight. But his numbers dipped in each of the following seasons—the 6-foot-4 guard posted 9.9 points as a sophomore and came off the bench to score 7.5 points per game prior to his dismissal.

On March 2, The Chronicle reported that two female students had voiced sexual assault allegations against Sulaimon at separate Duke student retreats called Common Ground. The story also reported that Krzyzewski and other members of the Blue Devil coaching staff had been aware of the allegations in March 2014.

The next day, Kevin White, vice president and director of athletics, defended the athletic department's procedures when notified of possible instances of student misconduct, noting that the department refers all cases to the Office of Student Conduct.

"These investigations are conducted thoroughly, in a timely manner, and with great care to respect the privacy and confidentiality of all students involved. Those procedures have been, and continue to be, followed by Coach Mike Krzyzewski and all members of the men’s basketball program," White said in a statement. "Coach Krzyzewski and his staff understand and have fulfilled their responsibilities to the university, its students and the community."

On the court, the Blue Devils—down to eight scholarship players after the December 2014 transfer of sophomore Semi Ojeleye and the dismissal of Sulaimon—hit their stride. Duke won its final 11 regular season games en route to a national championship victory against Wisconsin in Indianapolis, the program's fifth in the last 25 years.

In late April, Sulaimon denied the sexual assault allegations in an interview with ESPN's Jeff Goodman.

Sulaimon remained at Duke during the summer to complete his degree, graduating in three years. In May, he officially transferred to Maryland, joining a talented Terrapin squad that includes point guard Melo Trimble, swingman Jake Layman and freshman center Diamond Stone. Sulaimon has fit right in, helping Mark Turgeon's squad get off to an 11-1 start, averaging 10.8 points, 3.2 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game. Maryland is currently ranked No. 4 in the AP Poll.

READ MORE on Sulaimon's dismissal:

Rasheed Sulaimon dismissed from Duke basketball program

Rasheed Sulaimon's dismissal comes after turbulent last 2 seasons

Rasheed Sulaimon at center of sexual assault allegations prior to dismissal

White defends Athletics' handling of misconduct allegations

Rasheed Sulaimon denies committing sexual assault in interview with ESPN

Rasheed Sulaimon to transfer to Maryland

Check back tomorrow to see what comes in at No. 2 in our countdown of the top Duke sports stories of 2015.

A look at the rest of our top 10 countdown to date:

10. Rebecca Greenwell extends Elizabeth Williams' last dance against Albany

9. A look at Tommy John at Duke and beyond

8. The end of one era; the start of two more

7. Out with the new, in with the newer

6. Tyus Jones leads Blue Devils past North Carolina 92-90 in OT

5. Miami, officials hand Duke Halloween heartbreak

4. A banner year: 5 Final Fours and a bowl win

Share and discuss “The Chronicle's Top 10: Rasheed Sulaimon's dismissal from Duke basketball” on social media.