Behind Enemy Lines: Duke vs. Indiana in the Pinstripe Bowl

Quarterback Nate Sudfeld passes the ball during the against Michigan on Saturday at Memorial Stadium. The Hoosiers lost in double overtime, 41-48.

Ahead of the New Era Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium in New York, The Chronicle's Ryan Hoerger spoke to football beat writer Brody Miller of The Indiana Daily Student to preview Saturday's matchup between the Blue Devils and Hoosiers.

The Chronicle: Indiana kept it close with several of the Big Ten's top teams this season. Were those losses viewed as moral victories or deflating to come up just short?

The Daily Student: Those close losses are certainly the story of the season. Coaches avoid using the term moral victory, but those close games against top-15 teams were definitive proof of progress under head coach Kevin Wilson. Fans do not like hearing that, but the losses to Ohio State, Michigan and Iowa could have been changed by one play. You could see the talent level is there and that the Hoosiers are getting very close. In my opinion, coming up short so consistently in six straight games was a product of a program that isn't use to winning—but the talent is there.

TC: Indiana's offense has a number of weapons, and Duke will be without ACC Defensive Player of the Year Jeremy Cash on Saturday. How do you see Nate Sudfeld and company trying to exploit Cash's absence?

TDS: The foundation of this offense is its offensive line. Sudfeld and Jordan Howard may earn the attention, but its the line that has provided two All-Americans in Jason Spriggs and Dan Feeney. Cash's 18 tackles for loss make it apparent much of his strengths come in the run game. So Duke losing Cash makes it easier for the offense—with or without running back Jordan Howard—to control the game and then set up Sudfeld for open pass plays to its versatile receiving corps.

TC: Speaking of offensive weapons, what's the status of Howard for Saturday's game?

TDS: That is the million dollar question. It is still uncertain, and Wilson does not like to label statuses often. Wilson did say, however, that he has seen Howard look worse physically than he does now and still play well. He seemed to consistently give the impression that Howard is looking good, but things can still happen between now and Saturday. To add to optimism for Indiana, running backs coach Deland McCullough tweeted out a picture Wednesday of Howard at practice in full pads with the caption, "RB Crew gettin ready to roll."

TC: Like Duke, Indiana's defense has struggled at times this year. How do you expect the Hoosiers to scheme for dual-threat quarterback Thomas Sirk and the Blue Devil offense, and who should Duke watch out for on the defensive side of the ball for Indiana?

TDS: I think the plan for Sirk will lay in taking the pressure off the team's struggling young secondary. I will never try to claim this Hoosier defense is better than it is, but the front seven is better than many realize. There are large and versatile athletes on the defensive line and within the linebackers. Indiana will likely try to box in Sirk's running abilities and put as much pressure on him as possible to prevent giving him the time to pick apart the secondary because if Sirk has time, I doubt he will have much trouble with these defensive backs made up of all freshmen and sophomores.

TC: Finally, what's your prediction for Saturday's game—who wins and why?

TDS: Howard's health is obviously a factor here. Without him, I consider this game a genuine toss-up. I will go with the progressing idea that Howard is getting healthy. If that's the case, I think this offense is too much for a Duke defense without Cash. There will be plenty of points from both sides in New York City on Saturday, but I have Indiana winning 41-31.

Share and discuss “Behind Enemy Lines: Duke vs. Indiana in the Pinstripe Bowl” on social media.