Clemson basketball 2015-16 season preview

<p>Forward Jaron Blossomgame led the Tigers in scoring last season and will need to put up big numbers for Clemson to surprise critics in the ACC this season.</p>

Forward Jaron Blossomgame led the Tigers in scoring last season and will need to put up big numbers for Clemson to surprise critics in the ACC this season.

Clemson Tigers

2014-15 record: 16-15, 8-10 in the ACC

Head coach: Brad Brownell

Tenure at Clemson: 5 years

Career coaching record: 257-158

Home court: The Bon Secours Wellness Arena (Temporary)

Starters: Jaron Blossomgame, Donte Gratham, Jordan Roper, Austin Ajukwa, Landry Nnoko

Bench: Sidy Djitte, Legend Robertin

Overview: After finishing the 2014-15 season with a near-even 16-15 record, Clemson looks to earn its fifth winning season in head coach Brad Brownell’s six-year tenure with the Tigers. Clemson returns three starters and nine players from last year’s campaign. Despite eight ACC wins last season, the Tigers did not partake in any postseason play past the ACC Tournament. Although that will certainly be a goal for Clemson this year, it could have a difficult time making an impact in the star-studded ACC, especially while playing its home games a half-hour away from its usual home court as Littlejohn Coliseum undergoes extensive renovations.

The Tigers return their leading scorer in junior Jaron Blossomgame, who averaged 13.1 points per game to become Clemson's first returning leading scorer since Brownell took over for the Tigers in 2009. The Alpharetta, Ga., native also led the Tigers in rebounds with 8.2 boards per contest. Clemson lost point guard Rod Hall, but senior and 3-point sharp-shooter Jordan Roper should be equipped to take over after averaging 6.5 points per game last season. Sophomore forward Donte Grantham is coming off of a solid rookie season in which he averaged 8.8 points and blocked 31 shots.

A major strength for the Tigers is their defense, which ranked 23rd in basketball statistician Ken Pomeroy's adjusted defense metric with 92.9 points allowed per 100 possessions. Even with these returners, Clemson may struggle to match its defensive prowess with offensive firepower. 

One thing that needs to go right: Grantham and Roper pick up their offensive production, helping Clemson pull itself out of the bottom third of the ACC.

One thing that could go wrong: Blossomgame fails to expand the other areas of his game beyond scoring and the Tigers lack a true leader.

Share and discuss “Clemson basketball 2015-16 season preview” on social media.