Duke in the NFL: Week 10

Although the Blue Devils have fallen on tough times on the gridiron this season, a handful of former Duke standouts are making their impact felt on the next level. 

Jamison Crowder, WR: It was a milestone week for the Washington Redskins wide receiver. Crowder scored his first NFL touchdown and totaled four receptions for 60 yards in the Redskins 47-14 win against the New Orleans Saints. In order to reach the end zone for the first time as a professional, the former Blue Devils secured a tough catch while taking a big hit

With the victory, Washington improved to 3-5 on the season and the former Duke standout brought his season statistics to 42 receptions for 402 yards and a touchdown. The game also featured Crowder’s longest NFL reception whem he went 31 yards on a second and 21 with two minutes remaining in the first half—putting the Redskins in the red zone and continuing a drive that led to a field goal.

Laken Tomlinson, OG: The struggling Detroit Lions won at Green Bay for the first time since 1991, holding on to defeat the Packers 18-16 and move to 2-7 on the season. Tomlinson has seen quality minutes as a rookie as the Lions’ offense despite a tumultuous season, which has included the firing of five members of the front office and coaching staff. The rookie joined his team in celebrating the much-needed victory postgame.

Ross Cockrell, CB: After distinguishing himself as a playmaker early this season, the Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback had a quieter game in his team’s 30-9 victory against the Cleveland Browns this weekend. Although the story of the game was the return of Ben Roethlisberger who was not expected to play after suffering a midfoot sprain last week, Cockrell quietly picked up two tackles and helped the Steelers improve to 6-4. Through the first nine games of the season,Cockrell has posted 23 solo tackles, nabbed two interceptions and recovered a fumble.

Kenny Anunike, DE and Juwan Thompson, RB: Weeks 9 and 10 were not kind to the Denver Broncos squad featuring two former Blue Devils. Both Anunike and Thompson saw game action in the team’s back-to-back losses to the Indianapolis Colts and the Kansas City Chiefs, but failed to make it onto the stat sheet. Anunike has appeared in just three games this season and recorded one combined tackle. Thompson—who has appeared in all but one contest for Denver—has four rushing attempts for 10 yards and one reception for 16 yards. It remains to be seen how much playing time either player gets going forward. 

Vincent Rey, LB: Rey’s Cincinnati Bengals squad remain undefeated in Week 9 after besting the Cleveland Browns 31-10. The linebacker recorded five combined tackles and a pass breakup in the win that moved his team to 8-0 on the season. On track for career-high numbers in his fifth season in the league, Rey has 45 solo tackles, 25 assisted tackles, two tackles for loss, an interception and four defended passes this season. The linebacker turned in a decent performance in his team's first loss of the season in Week 10 against the Houston Texans. Rey finished with four tackles and a sack in the game, but was called for a crucial late-hit penalty that hurt his team's chances of staying undefeated. 

Share and discuss “Duke in the NFL: Week 10” on social media.