2015-16 Duke women's basketball player preview: Rebecca Greenwell

<p>Redshirt sophomore Rebecca Greenwell wants to round out her game this season.</p>

Redshirt sophomore Rebecca Greenwell wants to round out her game this season.

Rebecca Greenwell

• Year: Redshirt Sophomore
  • Height: 6-foot-1
  • Position: Guard
  • Last year’s statline: 14.0 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 2.1 APG

Game Breakdown: After redshirting her first season in 2013-14, the former McDonald’s All-American saw the court as much as anyone on the Blue Devils last season. As one of the most versatile players on the Duke roster, Greenwell will be expected to continue playing a variety of roles on both ends of the court this year.

As a redshirt freshman, the guard broke five freshman program records and set an all-time program record with 202 three-pointer attempts in a season. Greenwell fell just a minute shy of the school record for most minutes played in a season, which was indicative of the shape the Owensboro, Ky., native worked herself back into following surgery. Greenwell is a heady player who can attack in a variety of ways. Look for her to become more efficient from the field this season as she attempts to improve on her 40 percent average from the field and expect the redshirt sophomore to still have the green light to fire from downtown at all times.

Role on the Team: Greenwell, along with sophomore forward Azurá Stevens, will be captains and leaders of this relatively young Blue Devil team. Head coach Joanne P. McCallie often describes Greenwell as one of the greatest competitors that she has ever coached. McCallie hopes this will translate into the way the team plays following Greenwell’s lead. But the Blue Devil coach acknowledges that Greenwell needs to assert herself as the team’s vocal leader, having lost Elizabeth Williams to graduation.

Although she spent a portion of last season running the point, expect Greenwell to take a slightly different role this season as freshman guard Angela Salvadores is ready to play. Salvadores, the Spanish national, is a top-tier point guard and her ability to relieve Greenwell should free up the redshirt sophomore to play more of a true shooting guard role, something that better suits her natural talents.

Projected statline:  17.0 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 2.0 APG

Mitchell Gladstone | Sports Managing Editor

Twitter: @mpgladstone13

A junior from just outside Philadelphia, Mitchell is probably reminding you how the Eagles won the Super Bowl this year and that the Phillies are definitely on the rebound. Outside of The Chronicle, he majors in Economics, minors in Statistics and is working toward the PJMS certificate, in addition to playing trombone in the Duke University Marching Band. And if you're getting him a sandwich with beef and cheese outside the state of Pennsylvania, you best not call it a "Philly cheesesteak." 

Share and discuss “2015-16 Duke women's basketball player preview: Rebecca Greenwell ” on social media.