DUSDAC adds Mixed Korean Truck to replace Bull City Street Food

<p>The latest addition to the food truck lineup serves bibimbap, soy-marinated “ugly wings” and much more.</p>

The latest addition to the food truck lineup serves bibimbap, soy-marinated “ugly wings” and much more.

Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee voted to fill the gap in the food truck schedule by adding Mixed Korean Truck to the lineup at its meeting Monday night.

Mixed—based off the restaurant Mixed Casual Korean Bistro located in Chapel Hill—is known for its bibimbap and signature soy-marinated “ugly wings”. Owner Jimmy Kim, Trinity ‘04. described the food as a Korean version of Chipotle when DUSDAC sampled the food Sept. 7. Although there were initially four food trucks considered for the spot, Mixed was the only truck interested in the position at the end of the process.

“We chose Mixed because it was one of the first food trucks we talked to and liked from the start, and it offered something that wasn’t available on campus before,” said DUSDAC chair Brian Taylor, a senior.

The gap in the food truck lineup came because Bull City Street Food did not clear the vetting process for new trucks at the start of the year, leaving Belgian Waffle Crafters, Deli-icious, Humble Pig, Parlez-Vous Crepe, Gussy’s and Chirba Chirba as the only trucks. DUSDAC did not disclose when Mixed will join the lineup.

In other business:

Committee members discussed Dunkin Donuts’ status in the Merchants-on-Points program, after investigating claims from students that Dunkin was no longer delivering to campus. When questioned about the recent termination of deliveries, Dunkin responded that Campus Enterprises—the student-run company that provides food delivery service—refused to accommodate its condition to deliver only for orders totaling at least $20. The restaurant said that the delivery minimum was in its contract with Campus Enterprises. DUSDAC noted that it would reach back out to Dunkin to ask whether or not it wants to officially withdraw from the MOP program.

“This condition is not in the contract,” Director of Dining Services Robert Coffey said. “Campus Enterprises thinks that this [condition] is financially unfeasible for students.”

With the simultaneous loss of Pizza Mia Italian Grill and The Pizzeria—commonly referred to as Cinelli’s— from the MOP program last year, DUSDAC is looking for Italian restaurants that provide “more than pizza” to fill these spots, Taylor said. Members are also attempting to contact Heavenly Buffaloes as a potential MOP participant, but its owners expressed concerns about economic feasibility at previous meetings with DUSDAC.

In addition to the MOP program, Members also discussed methods to better manage the lines at Marketplace, especially regarding the stir-fry station, Pacific Rim.

“I’ve heard that the stir-fry line, the pasta line and the burger line create a lot of traffic in Marketplace, especially because there are no more paper forms for the stir-fry line,” said DUSDAC member Betsy Mansfield, a senior.

Committee members explained that Marketplace is attempting to fix this problem before adding Asian buns to the offerings of Pacific Rim by training staff to cook six stir-fry orders simultaneously.

Share and discuss “DUSDAC adds Mixed Korean Truck to replace Bull City Street Food” on social media.