Extra Point: Duke football vs Virginia Tech

Duke became bowl eligible with its sixth win of the season after outlasting Virginia Tech in a thrilling 45-43 quadruple overtime road victory. Both teams were noted for their stout defensive units coming into the game, but it was the offense for both sides that stole the show in this one. Besides becoming bowl eligible for the fourth consecutive season, the win helped the Blue Devils keep pace atop the ACC Coastal division with Pittsburgh. 

Revisiting the three keys to the game:

• Get the ground game going  

Thomas Sirk and the Duke backfield were able to move the ball down the field with the Blue Devils racking up 179 yards in the game. Despite opting to run the ball 32 times, Duke was still able to average an impressive 5.6 yards per carry. Sirk led the team with 18 attempts and 109 yards and began to pick apart the Hokies with his legs on first down runs in the fourth quarter. Although he was handed the ball only four times all evening, sophomore back Shaun Wilson finished with 60 yards during the game including a momentum-shifting 58-yard touchdown run in the third quarter.

• Prevent big plays on defense 

Virginia Tech’s biggest play came on their first drive with a 36-yard completion to wide receiver Bucky Hodges. After giving up 10 points in the first quarter, the Blue Devils defense was able to adjust to the Hokies' offense and contain them until Virginia Tech found success on a gritty 20-play, 95-yard drive that spanned 9:46 of game time. Although the Blue Devils struggled to protect a short field in the overtime periods, the team came up with big stops when needed including a crucial stop on a two-point conversion in the fourth extra period. 

• Get pressure on quarterback Michael Brewer

The pocket was small and chaotic all game for the Virginia Tech quarterback—who made his first start since breaking his collarbone in the season opener against Ohio State. Duke’s defense sacked the Texas Tech transfer three times and forced six hurries in the game. On the game-tying drive in regulation, Brewer was being rushed in the pocket as he delivered a touchdown pass to Hodges. Brewer was uncomfortable with the pressure all night and had few opportunities to set his feet and throw downfield after the first quarter. 

Three key stats:

• Thomas Sirk throws for four touchdowns 

The Glen St. Mary, Fla., native found the back of the end-zone a career-high four times, including twice in overtime. Sirk started off his night on the right foot with a laser to receiver Max McCaffrey from in close on the first drive of the game and followed it up by hitting McCaffrey again from 16 yard out. Sirk capped off his night with a 25-yard pass to tight end Erich Schneider on the first play for the Duke offense in the fourth overtime that led to a game-tying score thereafter. Although he struggled to hit the deep ball for much of regulation, the redshirt junior showed the ability to make big throws when needed and helped the Blue Devils come away with a victory. 

• Duke averages 5.6 yards per carry to Virginia Tech’s 3.4 yards.  

Although the Hokies ran the ball 53 times—their second-highest total this season—they weren’t able to find success against the one of the best defenses they've faced this season. On the other side of the ball, Duke opted against staying on the ground with their running backs who combined for just 68 yards on 12 carries. Instead, Sirk proved to be the difference with his legs and carried the ball a season-high 18 times in the victory. 

• Ross Martin goes three-for-five on the night 

Coming into the evening 12-of-12 on field goals, Martin found his bad luck charm again against Virginia Tech. The senior shockingly missed a 29-yarder in the second quarter and missed a critical 46-yarder later in regulation. But Duke’s all-time leader in scoring was clutch when the Blue Devils needed him to be and knocked in a pair of field goals in the overtime period.  

Three key plays:

• 9:49, first quarter: Unable to get into the end zone on their first two drives, Duke was able to avoid settling for a field goal on the two yard line when Sirk found McCaffrey with a bullet of a pass to take a 7-0 lead. The early points were crucial to get the team off to a quick start in a hostile environment on the road. 
  • 7:55, third quarter: After being thrust into a long third and 15 following a holding call, Michael Brewer threw a screen pass to fullback Sam Rogers who picked up 23 yards on the play to keep the drive alive. The play saved a drive spanning 20 plays and resulted in a touchdown for the Hokies. The scoring drive was the longest in Frank Beamer’s 28 years in Blacksburg, Va.
  • Fourth overtime, first play: After trading punches in a seemingly never-ending extra period, Sirk was able to find tight end Erich Schneider for a 25-yard touchdown down the left sideline on the very first play of Duke’s possession in the fourth overtime. Down six, the Blue Devils needed a score to avoid the loss and Sirk finished the drive with a touchdown and the ensuing two-point conversion. 

And the Duke game ball goes to…Thomas Sirk

Duke’s quarterback had yet to answer his critics who argued that he couldn't compete against ACC competition and boy did he step up last night. Besides his career-high four touchdowns, Sirk lead the team in both rushing and passing in his toughest road test as a starting quarterback. His will to win this game was evident on the last play, as he refused to be brought down on his way to convert the game-winning two-point conversion to end the thrilling contest. With a big game against Miami looming next week, it looks like Sirk could be rounding into form down the stretch of the season.    

And the Virginia Tech game ball goes to…Travon McMillian

The Hokies running back was difficult for the Duke defense to tackle all game and it seemed like it would take at least four defenders per play to bring him down. The Woodbridge, Va., native picked up 142 yards on the day with two scores as he tried to lead Virginia Tech to victory. McMillian has averaged 112 yards per game in his last three contests and appeared to solidify himself as the lead man in the Hokies backfield. 

Share and discuss “Extra Point: Duke football vs Virginia Tech ” on social media.