Grayson Allen, Brandon Ingram land on preseason watch lists

After a performance for the ages in April's national championship game against Wisconsin, sophomore Grayson Allen will not be taking anybody by surprise this season.

Allen was named to the watch list for the Jerry West Award Tuesday, presented to the nation's best shooting guard. The Jacksonville, Fla., native was not the only Blue Devil to hear his name called, as freshman swingman Brandon Ingram landed on the watch list for the Julius Erving Award, given to the top small forward in the country.

With Duke in danger of falling far behind the Badgers, Allen exploded off the bench in the second half, scoring 10 of his 16 points after intermission to re-energize the Blue Devils. The performance capped a strong end to the season for Allen, who will be looked to as a bigger offensive source this season with the departures of classmates Jahlil Okafor, Justise Winslow and Tyus Jones for the NBA. With freshman Derryck Thornton the only true point guard on this year's roster, Allen may also handle the ball more than he did a season ago, but those duties may be split among Allen and junior Matt Jones.

At 6-foot-9, Ingram will spend time all over the court, extending out to the wing in addition to playing in the post. The freshman's wingspan and agility around the basket will give the Blue Devils an inside-out scoring threat and will command attention from opposing defenses at all times.

As expected, the ACC was well-represented on the watch lists. Florida State's Dwayne Bacon, Miami's Sheldon McClellan and Virginia's Malcom Brogdon joined Allen on the West Award list, and Louisville's Damion Lee, North Carolina's Justin Jackson and Syracuse's Michael Gbinije—a Duke transfer—begin the season with Ingram on the Erving Award watch list.

Share and discuss “Grayson Allen, Brandon Ingram land on preseason watch lists” on social media.