Letter to the Editor

I am responding to your 16 Sept. editorial entitled "Legacy admissions: something given for little returned." In your article, you state, among other ridiculous untruths, that "those that believe legacy students bring a coherent or uniquely beneficial background to Duke are deluding themselves." In other words, you believe that legacy students do not belong at Duke. This statement is patently false.

First of all, you offer no concrete facts to back your argument. You mention nothing about how legacy students' grades, test scores, or extracurriculars match up with those of non-legacy students. In fact, there is nothing available to prove that legacy students' applications are inferior to those of non-legacy students. Moreover, according to the Admissions Office website, the only benefit offered to legacy students is that they are "granted a third read to make certain nothing important was missed." Also, responding to the frequently-asked question "Is having the alum-affiliation enough to get my child admitted," the Admissions Office replies, "No. Your student must still compete with the overall applicant pool." In summary, the only benefit of being a legacy when applying is one extra review of the application.

You also ask legacy students to "explain how the effect their relation had and how it forms their vision of Duke." My great-grandfather graduated from Duke in the 1930s, and both my parents were Trinity '87. Yes, they taught me to love Duke, but they are not the reason I chose Duke. I came here because Duke pre-med students get into medical school at over twice the national average. I came here to play in the marching band and to contribute to school spirit. I came to make a difference, and I believe I have made a difference along with my fellow legacy students. Your assertion that we do not belong here is purely arrogant and not based on fact. We will make the most of our opportunity. We do belong.

Davis Lovvorn is a Trinity sophomore.

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor” on social media.