Freshman plans event to honor 9/11 victims Friday

<p>Approximately 50 people gathered on the BC Plaza Friday afternoon to remember the victims of 9/11.</p>

Approximately 50 people gathered on the BC Plaza Friday afternoon to remember the victims of 9/11.

One freshman's last-minute initiative transformed the Bryan Center Plaza into a touching ceremony of remembrance for 9/11 victims Friday.

At the event, organized by freshman Miriam Levitin, students who wished to honor victims of the 9/11 attacks met at the Plaza at 4:30 p.m. for a series of speeches and a moment of silence. Following these, University carillonneur Samuel Hammond played memorial music for the daily carillon recital. About 50 students attended the event, which Levitin promoted using a Facebook page entitled “Duke Memorializes 9/11”.

“This is my first 9/11 away from home, and it didn’t feel right to treat it like a normal day,” she said in a speech to the crowd.

Levitin—who grew up in a small town on Long Island—explained that she was surprised the University had not arranged a memorial ceremony and reached out to fellow students via Facebook, asking if any would be interested in having an event. Senior Lucas Crim, a member of the Duke ROTC program, agreed to help by speaking at the ceremony.

“9/11 was a defining moment in our generation,” he said. “It’s important to recognize it by meeting and doing something tangible.”

In his speech, Crim explained that he decided to join the military because of the attacks on 9/11 and noted that the consequences of that day are still ongoing.

Michael Gustafson, associate professor of the practice of electrical and computer engineering, also addressed the crowd, remembering how Duke’s campus came together on 9/11. He added that he was impressed by how Levitin organized the ceremony so quickly.

“At home, we have a candlelight ceremony every year and I wanted to feel that same sense of solidarity here,” Levitin explained.

Several students expressed their appreciation for Levitin’s efforts to remember the tragedy.

“That day seems so detached from reality, it’s so hard to comprehend,” said freshman Alec Lintz. “Going to events like this opens your eyes to the reality that these were real people and real events.”

Freshman Anna Lee—who grew up in New York where her dad worked as a firefighter—explained that she enjoyed attending the ceremony because she could not be with her family on 9/11.

Seeing student leadership like Levitin displayed was impressive, said senior Christopher Schroeder, noting that in the absence of a formal University event he was pleased to see students take charge themselves.

The University paid tribute to the six Duke alumni killed in the attacks by placing a wreath at the campus memorial grove outside of Keohane Quadrangle. They also lowered the Duke, North Carolina and United States flags across campus.

Levitin noted that she was surprised there was not a bigger event considering the significant portion of Duke students from New York.

Hopefully, the event will continue in future years and become a tradition at Duke, Crim said. He added that coming together as a student body is a great way to remember victims of the attacks, a message that Levitin expressed to the crowd.

“Look around. Really look at everyone’s faces,” she said. “Take a deep breath and be thankful that you can. Don’t take life for granted.”

In addition to the event planned by Levitin, the Duke Catholic Center also hosted a memorial mass in Goodson Chapel at noon on Friday in remembrance of 9/11. Senior William Rooney, a student organization officer for the Catholic Center and a columnist for The Chronicle, noted that approximately 45 people—mostly students—attended the mass.

“It’s impressive to see students take initiative in commemorating 9/11, especially in the absence of a University event,” he said.

This story was updated Sunday evening to include the information about the Duke Catholic Center memorial mass. 

Share and discuss “Freshman plans event to honor 9/11 victims Friday” on social media.