Injury report: Duke football vs. Northwestern

The Blue Devils will face their biggest test so far this season when they host No. 23 Northwestern at 12:30 p.m. at Wallace Wade Stadium. If Duke is to pick up its first win of the year against a ranked opponent, head coach David Cutcliffe's squad will have to do so without two key cogs in in the running game, according to the Duke injury report released Thursday evening:

OUT

RB Jela Duncan (upper body)

LB Chris Holmes (leg)

OG Cody Robinson (upper body)

OUT FOR SEASON

LB Kelby Brown (leg)

CB Bryon Fields (leg)

DT Zach Morris (leg)

DE Taariq Shabazz (leg)

Breakdown: Duncan will miss his third straight game as the redshirt junior continues to work his way back from a partially torn pectoral muscle suffered during fall camp. Robinson is listed on the depth chart as a reserve at right guard, meaning the Duke offensive line will be missing some of its depth against a tough Northwestern defensive front that has been stingy against the run so far this season. With Holmes, a redshirt sophomore listed as Dwayne Norman's backup at the will linebacker position—out of commission as well, true freshman Ben Humphreys could see more action Saturday as the Blue Devils look to take down the Wildcats and notch a marquee win with ACC play just around the corner.

Also of note: Although he has not appeared on Duke's official injury report heading into any game so far this season, running back Joseph Ajeigbe has been dealing with a leg injury since fall camp and has not taken a snap for the Blue Devils.  But the redshirt sophomore could make a return to the field Saturday, joining Shaun Wilson and Shaquille Powell in the backfield rotation.

Stay tuned to the Blue Zone for all your pregame and in-game updates as Duke faces Northwestern this weekend in a battle of undefeated academic powerhouses in Durham.

Share and discuss “Injury report: Duke football vs. Northwestern” on social media.