Injuries end careers of Duke football's Michael Mann and Kameron Schroeder

A day after it was announced that linebacker Kelby Brown's career was over due to a fourth ACL tear, Duke head coach David Cutcliffe had more bad news to report Wednesday.

Defensive lineman Michael Mann and offensive lineman Kameron Schroeder will serve as undergraduate assistant coaches this season after both players suffered "career-ending, upper body injuries," the team announced via press release.

Team spokesman Art Chase said by phone that the injuries were "football-related" but did not provide further details on the nature of the injuries.

Mann, a redshirt junior from Castle Rock, Colo., registered four tackles in seven games across the 2013 and 2014 seasons after redshirting in 2012. Schroeder redshirted last season and was expected to be a reserve on an offensive line that must replace first-round NFL draft pick Laken Tomlinson and offensive tackle Takoby Cofield.

Mann and Schroeder will remain on scholarship as medical redshirts, Chase said, meaning they will not count against the NCAA maximum of 85 scholarships per season.

The team also announced Wednesday that freshman Daniel Jones—a quarterback from Charlotte, N.C.—will now receive a scholarship, effective immediately, filling one of the vacant scholarship slots. Chase said Jones had been scheduled to receive a scholarship beginning in January 2016.

Share and discuss “Injuries end careers of Duke football's Michael Mann and Kameron Schroeder” on social media.