Students rush to take advantage of Duke Stores Halloween Sale

Amidst a flurry of superhero suits and ghoulish getups, the Duke stores kicked off their annual Halloween "Spooktacular Sale" on Thursday, marking down prices by 31% on all items except electronics. Students and visitors at the Bryan Center flocked to the West Campus store to snag discounted items for themselves or family members.

This year, the sale seemed to be more popular as the normally quiet store saw a huge spike in activity. Customers wandered from the clothing to memorabilia sections, picking up Duke-brand gifts and forming long queues in front of the registers. A spooky-themed book sale went on in the bookstore, and some employees were dressed up in costumes, all while Halloween music was playing and free candy was being offered.

Director of Duke Stores Jim Wilkerson said that Halloween is traditionally their busiest sales day of the school year, and he estimated that the stores on this day do double the business than on the three days of Parents’ Weekend.

“We check the revenues by hour,” Wilkerson said. “We just checked it at 11 o’clock this morning, and business was up compared to last year during the same period of time by 55%... We’re expecting to set some significant records today.”

Although Wilkerson did not specify what contributed to the increase in business, a combination of promotion and accessibility to the newly renovated Bryan Center may have helped attract customers. Many students seemed to pass through the store on their way to eat lunch, and signs pointing to the sale were sprinkled near the BC plaza directing students to the sale.

Wilkerson said that the Halloween sale idea began around seven to eight years ago with the general manager of the store at the time, and the 31% decrease in prices was meant to coincide with the date of the sale. As opposed to the other holidays of the year, Wilkerson believed that Halloween allowed the store to have a bit more fun injected into it so that employees and customers could dress up and enjoy themselves. Because of its popularity, the Halloween theme has been expanded upon over the years.

Some students decided it would be practical to stock up on Duke apparel during the sale. For instance, sophomore Ethan Chang said that he remembered the sale from last year and decided to come back again to purchase clothing for warmth and school spirit.

“I’m just going to buy some sweaters for the winter,” Chang said. “I don’t have much Duke stuff anyways, and I feel like I should.”

Other students like sophomore Steven Heer had seen a poster pointing to the sale on his way back from classes and thought it would be a great time to buy apparel for his family. Heer noted however, his brother may be in for ore frightening ordeal than Halloween this year.

“He’s applying, so hopefully I’ll get some stuff for him if he gets in,” Heer said. “If not, then it will be mine [laughs].”

Share and discuss “Students rush to take advantage of Duke Stores Halloween Sale” on social media.