SPORTS  |  ROWING

Robyn Horner retires as head coach of Duke rowing

After growing the rowing program from its start in 1998, head coach Robyn Horner is retiring.

After growing the rowing program from its start in 1998, head coach Robyn Horner is retiring, Duke vice president and director of athletics Kevin White announced in a press release Thursday morning.

Horner's 17 years at the helm of the Blue Devil program produced 12 top-three finishes at the ACC championship meet and six All-America selections.

“I am so thankful to Duke and Duke Athletics for the incredible experiences I’ve had during my 17 years of coaching,” Horner said in the release. “Duke is a special place and I will miss all the amazing people that make up Duke Athletics.”

A two-time ACC Coach of the Year in 2002 and 2006, Horner has been the only rowing coach in Duke history. In addition to success on the water, her teams were successful in the classroom as well, earning a perfect score of 1,000 in the most recent APR data released by the NCAA.

“To be sure, we are incredibly grateful for Robyn’s hard work and dedication to Duke University—and specifically Duke Athletics—over the past 17 years,” White said in the release. “With Robyn’s guidance and leadership, the Duke rowing program went from conception to the national landscape, and we couldn’t be more appreciative of her commitment to the overall experience of our student-athletes. We wish Robyn all the best in her retirement from coaching.”

Share and discuss “Robyn Horner retires as head coach of Duke rowing” on social media.