Recruiting Roundup: Freshmen hint at jersey numbers as focus shifts to 2016

Let's start this week with the best news of the week for Blue Devil fans—Duke finished with the No. 1 recruiting class in the country according to ESPN, Scouts, 247Sports, and Rivals. The Blue Devils finished with commitments from four recruits ranked in the top 25 of the ESPN 100—No. 3 Brandon Ingram, No. 11 Chase Jeter, No. 17 Derryck Thornton and No. 24 Luke Kennard—as well as center Antonio Vrankovic and forward Justin Robinson.

With Ingram and Thornton officially signing their letter of intents with Duke, head coach Mike Krzyzewski had a chance to speak about the newest members of his program.

Ingram may have even dropped a hint about his number next season when he posted a picture of a pair of sneakers embossed with the number 14. Kennard seems ready to replace former point guard Tyus Jones as number 5 and Jeter appears set to wear number 2, inviting a career's-worth of Derek Jeter references.

Generic Script

Twitter Tweet

Twitter Tweet

The Blue Devils did receive a bit of bad news Monday afternoon when 2016 five-star point guard Tyus Battle announced his commitment to Michigan and head coach John Beilein.

Twitter Tweet

The Edison, N.J., native was ranked 14th overall in the Class of 2016 and Duke was considered a favorite for his services. Although no definitive reason is known for Battle's decision to head to Ann Arbor, one can speculate that the 6-foot-5 guard might see more immediate playing time for the Wolverines.

On a somber note, 20-year old Rasmus Larsen—a Danish center playing professionally in Belgium who reportedly had an offer to join the Blue Devils in 2016—was found dead in his bed Wednesday morning. Larsen was a rising international prospect and had the option of joining Duke basketball or playing another season in Belgium before declaring for the 2016 NBA Draft.

Twitter Tweet

The Blue Devils' attention in the Class of 2016 will now turn to the trio of Jayson Tatum, Harry Giles and Dennis Smith Jr. Tatum and Giles—who have developed a close friendship—have gone back-and-forth as the top-ranked player in the class and at this time, with the 2016 ESPN 60 gives a slight edge to Tatum. The trio has already discussed the possibility of teaming up together and becoming a package deal for the college of their choice.

Giles gave a little bit of insight into his recruitment when he published his monthly blog for USA Today. The High Point, N.C., native raved about his Duke in-home visit—which he rated a 10-of-10—and mentioned that the Blue Devils have used their recent championship as a big selling point. The five-star forward also raised the possibility of committing to his future school before his senior season begins in order to reduce the stress in his last year of high school. Giles appears to be deciding between Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Kentucky and Kansas.

That's all for this week's recruiting roundup. Be sure to check back with the Blue Zone for your latest recruiting news.

Share and discuss “Recruiting Roundup: Freshmen hint at jersey numbers as focus shifts to 2016” on social media.