Rasheed Sulaimon to transfer to Maryland

Former Duke guard Rasheed Sulaimon will transfer to Maryland for his senior season after graduating from Duke this summer.

Former Blue Devil Rasheed Sulaimon will transfer to Maryland, he told ESPN's Jeff Goodman Monday.

Sulaimon was dismissed from the team by head coach Mike Krzyzewski Jan. 29, a day after the Blue Devils fell on the road at Notre Dame.

In a press release announcing the dismissal, Krzyzewski said that Sulaimon had been "unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of our program."

On March 2, The Chronicle reported that two students had voiced allegations of sexual assault against Sulaimon on student retreats. No formal complaints were filed with either the University's Office of Student Conduct or the Durham Police Department. Sulaimon denied that the allegations were true in an ESPN article published April 29.

Sulaimon told Goodman that he intends to take classes at Duke this summer to finish his undergraduate degree. Once he graduates, he would be immediately eligible to play at Maryland under the graduate transfer rule.

Sulaimon joins a Terrapin squad that went 28-7 in 2014-15 before falling to West Virginia in the NCAA tournament's Round of 32. Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon returns many key pieces from that team—including rising sophomore point guard Melo Trimble and senior sharp-shooter Jake Layman—and the addition of Sulaimon will give the Terrapins another dangerous scorer in the backcourt.

A 6-foot-5 guard, Sulaimon averaged 7.5 points and 2.0 rebounds per game this season for Duke in the 20 contests prior to being dismissed. The Houston native's minutes dwindled as freshman Justise Winslow earned a starting spot, relegating Sulaimon—who started 33 of 36 games during his freshman year and averaged 11.9 points per game—to a reserve role.

Turgeon heavily recruited Sulaimon in high school as the head coach at Texas A&M.

This article was updated at 2 p.m. to include Sulaimon's tweets.

Share and discuss “Rasheed Sulaimon to transfer to Maryland” on social media.