Duke track and field breaks record, claims five event victories in final home meet

Junior Megan Clark claimed her fourth win of the outdoor season in the pole vault Wednesday.

Duke continued to rewrite the record books in its second home meet at the new Morris Williams Track and Field Stadium.

The Blue Devils claimed victories in five events at the two-day Duke Twilight Meet, including a school-record performance by the men's 4x400 meter relay. In just two meets at the new facility, Duke has now set six program records.

Sophomore Chaz Hawkins brought home the win for the Blue Devils in the men's 4x400 meter relay Thursday, outpacing Virginia State and clocking in at 3:10.76 to secure the school record. Hawkins' anchor leg was preceded by solid runs by junior Matt Rodio, sophomore Michael Wilson and freshman Brett Bofinger.

Junior Anima Banks broke the finish line first in the women's 800 meters in a season-best time of 2:06.30. The Mamaroneck, N.Y., native also ran a leg of the women's 4x400 meter relay, which placed fourth in 3:50.39.

Duke earned a sweep of the pole vault competitions Wednesday, as junior Megan Clark and sophomore Connor Hall each outjumped the competiton. Clark soared up and over the bar at 13 feet, 11 1/4 inches to capture her fourth win of the outdoor season, and Hall cleared 16 feet, 4 3/4 inches—a personal best for the San Luis Obispo, Calif., native—to win a jump-off against Ken Ritchey of Liberty.

The Blue Devils' third first-place finish of the day belonged to graduate student Erica Brand, who turned in the meet's farthest throw in the women's discus with a throw of 173 feet, 10 inches.

In the women's 200 meters Thursday, senior Elizabeth Kerpon came within one-hundredth of a second of tying her own school record, settling for a second-place finish in 23.7 seconds.

With its home schedule and regular season slate finished for the year, Duke will prepare for the ACC Outdoor Championships May 14-16 in Tallahassee, Fla.

Share and discuss “Duke track and field breaks record, claims five event victories in final home meet” on social media.