Recruiting Roundup: Kennard wins McDonald's All-American Game 3-point contest

We'll start this week with five-star 2016 combo guard Tyus Battle, who announced this week that he would visit Duke later this month April 17. The N.J., native also set up a visit with the Louisville Cardinals two days later. Perhaps most interesting of all is that the Kentucky Wildcats, who Battle previously cut, have been re-added to his list of possible schools. The new list for the stud 2016 guard is Duke, Syracuse, Connecticut, Louisville, Kentucky, Michigan and Ohio State.

Twitter Tweet

Twitter Tweet

With all the top players in the Class of 2015 one location this week, the McDonald's All-American Game was once again a forum for committed players to try to convinced the few uncommitted players left to join them at their respective schools. This year, five-star big man Caleb Swanigan was one of the most popular undecided players left. As previously noted, Swanigan has cut his list to seven, but in reality it seems that three schools, Duke, Michigan State and California, have the best chance to land the talented big man.

The Spartans had long been the favorite in the recruiting race, but both the Golden Bears and Blue Devils have been closing strong the past few weeks. Khadrice Rollins of ZagsBlog reported that Swanigan is being lobbied hard by both Duke commits Chase Jeter and Luke Kennard to join the talented duo in Durham next year. A three-player package of Ivan Rabb, Jaylen Brown and Caleb Swanigan was also the talk of the week, as all three player may end up in Berkeley, Calif., together next year. At this point, no one is quite sure where the talented Indiana native will end up, but Swanigan announced this week that he plans on announcing at the Nike Hoop Summit next week. Check back with the Blue Zone next week for coverage of Swanigan's decision.

Twitter Tweet

Before the actual high-school All-American game Wednesday, future Kennard showed off his shooting stroke by winning the 3-point contest Tuesday. Kennard scored 20 points round one, before lighting it up with 23 points in the finals to knock off Villanova-bound Jalen Brunson and LSU-bound Antonio Blakeney in the finals. Kennard also put on a show in front of former Blue Devil superstar Jabari Parker in winning the competition.

Twitter Tweet

Youtube Player

In the actual game Wednesday night, Kennard played 17 minutes and scored nine points on 4-of-7 shooting—including 1-of-3 from downtown—with four rebounds and one assist. His future teammate Jeter played 14 minutes, tied for the lowest of any player, and scored just five points on 1-of-4 shooting. Swanigan also had a night to forgot as he was held to just two points on 1-5 shooting. Another top Duke target in the class, Brandon Ingram, had a strongest night of potential Blue Devils in the incoming freshman class, scoring 15 points on 6-of-11 shooting and adding five rebounds.

Ingram did not have too much to say about this recruitment this week, as he noted all six teams still left—Duke, North Carolina, UCLA, N.C. State, Kentucky and Kansas—have been recruiting him hard and are great programs. Ingram did say that Jeter and Carlton Bragg of Kansas were recruiting him the hardest. The Kinston, N.C., native did not give a date on his announcement, but said it will come before the end of the month. With Kennard and Jeter, Duke has a solid class already, but adding the dominant swingman would give the Blue Devils yet another weapon to help the team absorb the expected losses coming in the offseason.

Twitter Tweet

Twitter Tweet

That’s all for this week’s recruiting roundup. Be sure to stay with the Blue Zone for all your recruiting news.

Share and discuss “Recruiting Roundup: Kennard wins McDonald's All-American Game 3-point contest” on social media.