Recruiting Roundup: Decision season looming after Nike Hoop Summit

Let's start with the biggest news of the week—five-star 2015 center Caleb Swanigan is headed to Michigan State. The Spartans had long been considered the favorite for the Indiana native, however, both Duke and California made strong late pushes and many predicted Swanigan would end up in Berkeley next season. Swanigan's decision was a huge get for Tom Izzo, as Michigan State now has the second-best recruiting class according to ESPN. Duke's class of Chase Jeter and Luke Kennard is currently slated 11th.

The Blue Devils did get some good news this week, as five-star small forward Jayson Tatum, one of the top 2016 players, cut his list down to four.

Generic Script

Duke will be joined by Kentucky, North Carolina and St. Louis for the services of the talented wing. Tatum also had a good weekend on the court, scoring 27 points and adding 11 rebounds in front of Blue Devil assistant coach Nate James.

Twitter Tweet

The Nike Hoop Summit was this past weekend, and featured at least two future Dukies. Kennard shined, scoring 22 points on 9-of-18 shooting from the field, including two thee-pointers. Kennard’s future teammate, Chase Jeter, had a quieter day inside, scoring just five points on 1-of-5 shooting. Five-star 2015 small forward Brandon Ingram—Duke’s top remaining target in the class—had a solid day, scoring 12 points on 5-of-6 shooting. Ingram also garnered praise for his versatility, as he showed off his ability to score at the rim and with his outside shot.

Twitter Tweet

Twitter Tweet

Many have the Blue Devils as the favorites to land Ingram, including 24/7 sports recruiting expert Jerry Meyer.

Twitter Tweet

Lastly, the Blue Devils may want to take a look at 2016 point guard Jamal Murray. Hailing from Canada, Murray was absolutely dazzling for the world team, scoring 30 points and earning himself MVP honors. Murray is currently just a four-star recruit, and, according to 24/7 sports, most believe will end up as an Oregon Duck. However, with Tyus Jones likely headed to the NBA, Duke is in desperate need for a point guard. Murray has discussed reclassifying and most seem to believe he ultimate will join the class of 2015.

Twitter Tweet

Murray also seems to be a fan of the Blue Devils.

Twitter Tweet

Five-star 2015 point guard Derryck Thornton is also considering reclassifying and is considering Duke as a destination if he does.

That’s all for this week’s recruiting roundup. Be sure to stay with the Blue Zone for all your recruiting news.

Share and discuss “Recruiting Roundup: Decision season looming after Nike Hoop Summit” on social media.