Blue Devils receive two more 2016 commits, class ranked 11th nationally

The Blue Devils are building a 2016 recruiting class that is currently one of the top recruiting classes in the country. This week, we take a look at two of the program's newest commits and see who else could be committing to the program within the next few weeks.

Duke continues to add to its strong 2016 recruiting class

With top recruits like Scott Bracey and Mark Birmingham already verbally committed to the Blue Devils, David Cutcliffe's 2016 recruiting class is already loaded with talent and the commitment of offensive lineman Robert Kraeling affirms that Durham is becoming a hot destination to play college football. The Bogart, Ga. native is the 35th ranked offensive tackle in the nation by 247Sports and ranked 409th overall. Kraeling—who stands at 6-foot-7—will be one of the tallest players Cutcliffe has ever coached at Duke and although he is undersized at 255 pounds, he should put on enough weight by the end of his senior year of high school to make him a dangerous blocker in the trenches. Kraeling is the latest player to commit to the Blue Devils instead of traditional top programs such as Miami (FL), Alabama, Auburn, Baylor, Georgia and Ole Miss.

Kraeling wasn't the only offensive lineman to commit to Duke this week. Three-star prospect Liam Smith announced his verbal commitment to the Blue Devils today after pondering offers from Virginia, Syracuse and Rutgers. The 6-foot-5, 270 pound Red Bank, N.J., native became the third offensive line commit for Cutcliffe and his staff along with Kraeling and Jaylen Miller, who committed to the program in March.

Twitter Tweet

Duke seems to be adding some "meat" to its class lately, something it sorely needed after picking up talented skill players in Bracey, Birmingham and Elijah Deveaux early in the recruiting process. The three recent additions fill a huge void for the coaching staff as the Class of 2015 only had two offensive line commitments. A couple of big linemen in the 2016 class bodes well for a program that is looking for a strong presence in the trenches during the next few years.

Although it is still early in the recruiting process, 247Sports.com ranks the Blue Devil 2016 class as the 11th-best in the nation and fourth-best in the ACC behind Clemson, Miami and Florida State.

On the radar

To start things off, four-star in-state quarterback Chazz Surratt—who we mentioned last month was choosing between Duke and North Carolina—has still not made a decision. The 13th-ranked dual threat quarterback prospect in the nation took an unofficial to visit to Durham on April 1 and will probably be heading to Chapel Hill in the near future. It's possible that Surratt could announce a verbal commitment as early as May.

Although the Blue Devils have reeled in a number of prospects on the offensive line of late, we could possibly see another commitment in the near future. Four-star prospect Luke Wattenberg recently announced on Twitter that he had narrowed his college choice to Duke and Washington.

Twitter Tweet

If he commits, Wattenberg—who is the 241st-best prospect in the nation according to 247Sports—would be the most talented offensive line prospect to commit to the Blue Devils for the Class of 2016 and could come to Durham as a stronger and more improved prospect following his junior and senior seasons at J. Sierra Catholic High School.

Stay tuned to the Blue Zone and follow us on Twitter at @chroniclesports as we follow Duke Football on the recruiting trail this offseason.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils receive two more 2016 commits, class ranked 11th nationally” on social media.