'Duke was truly unmatched': 2019 admits sound off

At 7 p.m. Thursday night, 2,650 of more than 28,000 regular decision applicants learned they had been accepted to Duke.

The 9.4 percent acceptance rate for the Class of 2019—up from last year's low of 9 percent—marked the third year that the regular decision acceptance rate fell in the single digits. The total number of regular decision applications dipped slightly—from 29,300 last year to just more than 28,000 this year.

This year, 815 students were admitted through the early decision process—filling a record 48 percent of the total class. Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Christoph Guttentag told The Chronicle Thursday that admissions officers seek a balance of "students for whom Duke is a first choice" and "students who chose Duke after having had lots of options."

Guttentag said although exact statistics for racial, ethnic and geographic diversity will not be calculated until students enroll, the Class of 2019 looks as if it will be "very similar" in terms of demographics to the Class of 2018.

Many applicants said they were attracted to the University because of its emphasis on global outreach and international engagement.

“One thing that stood out about the Duke representative and Duke in general was the energy and engagement," said Phil Kariuki, a prospective student from Kenya. "I fell in love with Duke from that day and words cannot define the excitement that my family and I feel for this glorious opportunity."

Jennifer Hong, a a student from Beijing who was admitted early decision, said she was most excited about the opportunities for academic engagement that Duke offers.

“Chinese public school doesn't have much resources for students to pursue what they are passionate about," Hong said. "However, Duke is different! I can't wait to meet everyone in my Humanitarian Challenges FOCUS cluster and engage in thought-provoking discussion."

Pauline Grieb, a student from France, said she "could not believe it" when she received the congratulatory message.

"Suddenly I found myself dancing around the room and my mom's words repeating 'Yes, yes oh…yes!' thudding in my ear," Grieb wrote in an email Sunday.

For some students, the notion of attending Duke has been a long-standing dream.

Rachel Serieix, who was admitted early decision, said she knew Duke was the university for her as soon as she set foot on campus.

"Duke was truly unmatched," she said. "Now, accepted and eagerly awaiting my first day as a student, I can affirm that being a blue devil is the best feeling imaginable."

With the total cost of attendance for next year coming in at $63,273, the highest in the University's history, many students' enrollment hinges on the financial aid packages they receive.

Duke admissions policy is domestically need-blind—meaning that students' ability to pay is not considered in the admissions process and 100 percent of demonstrated financial need will be met. Approximately half of Duke students receive some form of financial assistance, with more than 40 percent receiving need-based financial aid. Grants, loans and work-study opportunities are all included in need-based aid.

“Most of my family has not been to college and here I am going to one of the most prestigious universities in the world," said Kristel Black, who was admitted early decision. "Hard work really does pay off. The academia will be rigorous, but valuable, the connections I make will be lifelong, and the experiences I will have will stay with me forever and guide me to find my true calling."

Many noted that they are most excited about the people that make up the Duke community.

“I am humbled by the group of students that I will be joining on East Campus next year—they are intelligent, accomplished and all-around fantastic individuals. Duke is one of the best universities in the country with extensive programs and opportunities that I hope to benefit from," prospective student Robert Bahner said.

Sometimes, pure excitement was all students could focus on.

"I got up from my chair and shouted to my parents downstairs "I GOT INTO DUKE!" prospective student Johnny Everdeen said.

Share and discuss “'Duke was truly unmatched': 2019 admits sound off” on social media.