DPU endorses Mecklai and Guarco

Duke Political Union is proud to endorse Keizra Mecklai for Duke Student Government President and John Guarco for Executive Vice President.

Mecklai and Guarco both present a heartfelt desire to build upon their past achievements with DSG. Mecklai’s strong and healthy relationships with the stakeholders involved in critical campus issues, as well as her experience executing campus-wide projects, are a testament to her potential to lead an energetic and productive DSG. She is quick-thinking and determined, and we find that combination necessary to teaming up with the administration to tackle topics like sexual assault prevention and the re-alignment of the new housing model to students’ needs.

Guarco’s diverse legislative portfolio proves that he is a well-rounded EVP candidate who can acclimate DSG’s student representatives to the process of writing legislation and working productively with Duke’s administration. He intends to hold town-hall meetings to garner feedback on proposed changes to the Senate’s structure, and we believe this represents his dedication to ensuring all students have a say in DSG’s structure moving forward.

While Duke Political Union strongly believes that DSG’s journey to increased transparency and reform will require far more than just holding town-halls, both Mecklai’s and Guarco’s acknowledgement of the need for change is a start to developing a more tuned in and communicative student body government. DPU would like to use this space to encourage the winners of this year’s elections to place DSG transparency and reform at the forefront of their agendas for the coming cycle of student leadership.

DPU is pleased to see that this year’s candidates are capable and passionate, and we encourage the student body to read each candidate’s platform. As Duke’s premier political awareness organization, we invite you to not only take part in casting your vote on March 3, but to also to engage in the exciting political process along the way.

Pi Praveen

President, Duke Political Union

Trinity College ‘16

Share and discuss “DPU endorses Mecklai and Guarco” on social media.