2015 NCAA tournament preview: Virginia Cavaliers

Virginia Cavaliers

Record: 29-3, 16-2 ACC

Head coach: Tony Bennett (6th season)

Season summary: It’s been an interesting season for the two-time ACC regular season champions. Until the final day in January when they were upset by Duke at home, the Cavaliers were right up there with Kentucky as an undefeated team whose stifling defense looked nearly impenetrable. Then the injuries occurred. In a win against Louisville Feb. 7, star guard Justin Anderson broke his left pinky finger, sidelining him for a month. Just as it looked like Anderson was set to return, he needed an emergency appendectomy. Anderson finally returned to the court March 13 in the ACC semifinal against North Carolina but looked far from right, shooting 0-of-4 overall and 0-of-3 from deep in just 14 minutes off the bench. Guard London Perrantes went down with a broken nose and concussion Feb. 22 against Florida State but was fortunately able to return two games later. Virginia is the best defensive team in the country, allowing only 50.8 points per game, but has struggled to score all season long, particularly with Anderson missing.

How they make a run: Anderson returns to full form and leads the offense back to full capacity to compliment a smothering defense.

How they falter: The defense springs a small leak like it did against the Tar Heels and the offense can’t make up for it.

Share and discuss “2015 NCAA tournament preview: Virginia Cavaliers” on social media.