Duke in the NBA: Exciting All-Star Weekend in store for Blue Devil fans

As the NBA season reaches its midseason break, former Duke stars have had their fair share of strong performances in the first half of the season. With some of Duke’s finest featured on the All-Star Weekend stage, we take a look back at the first half of the season and the coming weekend:

Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers: As he prepares to make his second consecutive All-Star game appearance, the fourth-year point guard is playing at arguably the highest level of his career. But Irving’s 2014-15 campaign has not always been easy. With LeBron James’ return to Cleveland, the former Duke star has been forced to share the ball and defend more this season than he was previously accustomed to. After struggling with the adjustment earlier in the year, Irving has come on in the last month as the Cavaliers have caught fire and won 14 of their last 16 games. Irving enters the break averaging 21.8 points per game and 5.3 assists per game as Cleveland is better than .500 going into All-Star Weekend for the first time in Irving’s career.

Irving will be featured heavily during All-Star Weekend as he participates in the highly anticipated 3-Point Shootout Saturday night. Sunday, the 6-foot-3 guard will look to defend his MVP crown in the All-Star Game —he posted 31 points and 14 assists in the exhibition a year ago.

Mason Plumlee, Brooklyn Nets: After struggling early in the season, Plumlee is in the midst of a breakout stretch that has brought his season averages up to 10.3 points and 7.0 rebounds per game. The center enters the break on a high note as he recorded 14 rebounds—the second-highest total of his career—in a loss to Memphis Tuesday. The former Duke fan favorite has improved as a rebounder and has developed a strong paint game that has made him a solid contributor for the Nets. Plumlee seems to have especially benefited from his experience on Team USA during the FIBA World Cup with the guidance of Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski

Plumlee will be on the national spotlight this weekend as he plays for the United States in the Rising Stars Challenge Friday and shows off his hops in the Slam Dunk contest Saturday night.

J.J. Redick, Los Angeles Clippers: After missing three games with back spasms, Redick provided a lift for a short-handed Clippers squad with 15 and 20 points in wins this week against the Mavericks and Rockets, respectively. The guard has had one of his best seasons with an average of 14.6 points per game as well as 43.6 percent shooting from long range. With Clippers superstar Blake Griffin out for three more weeks, Redick figures to get be a bigger part of the offense as the year progresses.

Redick will put his shooting stroke on display Saturday night as he competes with Irving and sharpshooters Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson in the 3-point contest.

Luol Deng, Miami Heat: Thrust into the role as LeBron James’ replacement in Miami, Deng has fought through an up and down season. In his 11th season, the former Duke standout has battled minor ailments that have forced him to miss six games this season. When on the court, Deng has been steady as usual with his average of 14.3 points and 5.1 rebounds per game. The forward has recorded double-figures in his last five contests and will look to continue his strong play in the second-half of the season as the Heat look to make another playoff run.

Gerald Henderson, Charlotte Hornets: The 12th pick in the 2009 NBA Draft has come alive in 2015 with averages of 16.1 points and 4.3 assists per game, as the Hornets have improved after a slow start to the season. Henderson has continued to succeed on the next level with his mid-range and post game and the next step for the five-year veteran appears to be to expand his range to the three-point arc. The 6-foot-5 guard is shooting just 30.4 from long range, but is also one of the main reasons the Hornets sit seventh in the East entering the All-Star break.

Mike Dunleavy, Jr., Chicago Bulls: After missing 19 games with an ankle injury, Dunleavy made his return to the court this week and played in the Bulls' final two games before All-Star Weekend. Dunleavy scored just five points in both appearances, but they could prove very important for the 6-foot-9 sharpshooter, who will look to get his legs back and continue a solid 13th NBA season for the 34-20 Bulls. Dunleavy is averaging 9.4 points per game and shooting 41.5 percent from long range.

Injured:

Jabari Parker, Milwaukee Bucks (out for season)

Josh McRoberts, Miami Heat (out for season)

Rodney Hood, Utah Jazz

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Exciting All-Star Weekend in store for Blue Devil fans” on social media.