SPORTS  |  FENCING

Top-10 Duke fencing squads go 8-3 at Western Invitational

With conversation that the Blue Devils may have the strongest roster the program has seen in recent years, the squad was anxious to live up to expectations in Philadelphia this weekend. And they did not disappoint.

The men's and women's squads combined for a 8-3 record on the weekend, keeping up Duke's momentum from a 9-1 season opener at the Western Invitational Jan. 17.

The Blue Devils faced a host of talented squads, including Pennsylvania, No. 6 on the women's side and No. 8 on the men's side. Despite falling to the Quakers, sophomore Christopher Monti and the saber squad carried Duke to a winning ledger at the Philadelphia Invitational Saturday and Sunday.

“[Saturday] I was especially proud of the women's saber squad,” head coach Alex Beguinet said. “Their victories helped us win the matches that we did win. [Sunday] made for a good competition…winning against NJIT and Sacred Heart both in the last bout. It was very exciting for both teams.”

Paced by freshmen sabers Jennifer Ling and Haley Fisher, the women’s team posted wins against Fairleigh Dickinson, Haverford, Cornell and Sacred Heart Saturday. The team overcame losses against Temple and Pennsylvania to finish the weekend 4-2.

Fisher secured 13 wins versus just two losses in the second outing of her freshman year. Her dominant performance comes on the heels of the flawless 17-0 mark she notched in the Western Invitational—good enough to garner ACC Fencer of the Week honors. Recruited as one of the top sabers in the country, the Savannah, Ga., native continues turning heads each time she draws her blade.

Sophomore Rita Somogyi, junior Isabella Barna and senior Sarah Collins all captured 11 wins to pace the epee squad. Junior Samantha Lee claimed eight victories in foil to boost the Blue Devils in the third fencing category.

But it was the saber squad—boosted by Lin’s team-best 15-2 record on the weekend—that earned Duke the lion’s share of its wins.

"Remember, the whole saber squad are freshmen,” saber coach Jacek Huchwajda said. “They did very well today. Each of the saber girls had a winning individual record, and that makes for a great outing."

The ninth-ranked men’s team edged Sacred Heart and NJIT in the final bouts before dispatching Drew and Haverford en route to their 4-1 finish. Duke’s only loss came at the hands of Penn who handled the Blue Devils 16-11 in the third round.

Pacing Duke on the men’s side, Monti posted an 11-1 individual ledger. Monti returns this year after earning All-America honors and claiming eighth place in the NCAA championships last year—the highest finish ever for a Blue Devil freshman. With Sunday’s effort, Monti advanced his season ledger to an astounding 25-2 record. The Park Ridge, Ill., native appears to have picked up right where he left off last season, establishing himself as one of the preeminent fencers in the country.

Senior saber Colin Colter finished just behind Monti with ten wins against just two defeats. Freshman Dean Ischiropoulos paced the epee squad with nine wins. Senior foilist Rod Shayesteh led Duke in his category with six wins.

But once again, the sabers that carried the Blue Devils through the rough patches.

“It was the sabers’ day,” Beguinet said. “It was a great effort on their part only losing to Penn.”

The men and women will return to competition Feb. 1 when they travel to Cambridge, Mass. to take on a slew of northeastern foes.

Share and discuss “Top-10 Duke fencing squads go 8-3 at Western Invitational” on social media.