Virginia Tech basketball 2014-15 season preview

Virginia Tech Hokies

2013-14 Record: 9-22, 2-16 in the ACC

Head Coach: Buzz Williams

Tenure at Virginia Tech: 1st Season

Career Coaching Record: 153-86

Home Court: Cassell Coliseum

Starters: F Joey van Zegeren, G Devin Wilson, G Will Johnston, G Ahmed Hill, G Justin Bibbs

Bench: G Adam Smith, C/F Satchel Pierce

Overview: The Hokies are beginning their first season with new head coach Buzz Williams, who comes to Blacksburg, Va., from Marquette after six seasons in Milwaukee. Williams was replaced by former Duke player and assistant coach Steve Wojciechowski. Virginia Tech's roster suffered eight departures, including forward Jarell Eddie, but is bringing in transfers Shane Henry, Seth Allen and Zach LeDay. Allen and LeDay will redshirt this season to comply with NCAA rules.

Virginia Tech's recruiting class consists of four-star guards Ahmed Hill and Justin Bibbs, three-star guard Jalen Hudson and three-star center/forward Satchel Pierce. Bibbs led his high school team to back-to-back state championships and a perfect record his senior year at Montverde High School in Florida.

Sophomore guard Devin Wilson, who started every game last season, averaged 9.2 points per contest and was a part of the ACC All-Freshman team. His quickness and athleticism allows him to be an effective rebounder and distributor for the Hokies, averaging 3.2 rebounds and 4.8 assists per game in his first season in Blacksburg. As the only returning player from his recruiting class, Wilson has something to prove.

The Hokies do not have an easy road this season. The ACC is already an extremely competitive conference, and with the addition of powerhouse Louisville, this season could prove to be one of the most brutal yet. Virginia Tech has not been strong on the road in the past, and its schedule dictates that the Hokies will meet almost all of the ACC's top forces away from Cassell Coliseum. The months of January and February will be a particularly rough stretch for the Hokies.

One thing that needs to go right: Virginia Tech has been effective at rebounding in the past, both defensively and offensively. Keeping the ball out of the hands of a tough ACC opponent will be important to staying competitive in conference play.

One thing that could go wrong: The Hokies are unable to match the talent of every other team in their conference and struggle yet again on the road.

Share and discuss “Virginia Tech basketball 2014-15 season preview” on social media.