RECESS  |  CULTURE

A visit to the Duke Gardens

If you ever find yourself in need of a place to escape the stresses of exam week, a place to lose track of time and experience relaxation in its purest form, then let Sarah P. Duke Gardens soothe your eyes with the beauty of Helianthus tuberosus and cushion your back with a thick bed of Paspalum notatum.

Generic Script

It is nearly impossible to spend “too much” time here—the concept of time is simply not applicable to a place where a miniature sundial is the sole physical reminder of a day flying by (that is, as long as you can resist the temptation of checking any electronic devices).

Generic Script

While some find the Gardens an ideal location for simultaneous sunbathing and reading (a good way to save time in a busy schedule), others may instead want to spend their time admiring the elegant architecture of the pergola. Whether it be acrobatics you seek, or a natural tan, you can be sure the Gardens will never cast a judgmental glance in your direction. Here, you have the freedom to enjoy nature, sun and pollen to its fullest, and in any way you may desire.

Generic Script

It is also a place for noticing the little things, the intricacies of nature that often become lost or trampled under busy feet on a fast-paced campus. Take the time to notice the fallen berries which have fallen into the overflowing plate of the boy water fountain sculpture, the way they enjoy this unexpected bath, and how, eventually, overcome by gravity, they plunge into the water below. Take the time to notice the way the shadows from foliaged trees pattern the ground and the way that colorful algae has completely taken over some of the smaller ponds. Seek out the tree that generations of lovers have left their everlasting marks on.

Generic Script

The Gardens boasts an incredible abundance of flora and fauna, and within its expanses, everyone can find a place to sit down, take a deep breath and finally grasp the meaning of the Swahili phrase “hakuna matata.”

Share and discuss “A visit to the Duke Gardens” on social media.