A night with Bo Burnam from my perspective

Special to The Chronicle / Roshan Yadama

If there was anything that Bo Burnham wanted to be remembered for during his performance at the Reynolds Industries Theatre on Oct. 2 as sponsored by the Duke University Union, it was he would be willing to perform sexual favors for Coach K. This blunt, crass and altogether hilarious remark reflects the overall tone of his performance last Friday night.

The burgeoning young comedian achieved fame when his early comedic YouTube videos gained a massive popular following. To this day, over 124 million viewers have watched Burnham satirize societal taboos like race, sex, gender and religion with his comedic videos, songs, and stand-up tours.

After a Burnham-themed improv session by Duke University Improv, Burnham casually took the stage in a white T-shirt and jeans and began his caustic craft. He performed many of his classic sardonic songs from his repertoire like "Art is Dead" and "From God's Perspective" to treat long time fans, while still managing to sneak in a few new songs throughout the set.

Burnham succeeded in connecting with the audience. Whether it be messing around with the two security guards or giving audience members in the first row a hard time, Burnham fed off of the dynamic of the room. Unlike other comedians who mostly perform a set routine and deal occasionally with hecklers, Burnham went out of his way to make the audience a part of the comedic experience. It's not so much that these people were punch lines or objects of mockery, but instead, it's Burnham's way of breaking the fourth wall (or, as he did in the show, enter a passcode to literally move past it).

Nevertheless, Burnham's arrogant, judgmental and crass persona is what made the show.

Much of his comedy is less refined, like that of Bill Cosby's, but Burnham's comedy is saturated with an immature yet outrageously funny wit–and this wit has a telling purpose. From his fairly accurate representation of the shallow way women are represented in hip-hop songs to the fact that country artists can be hypocritical and perpetuate "hick-ish" stereotypes, Burnham commented on many societal ironies. He basically said what everyone else was thinking but didn't have the guts to say.

Even more so, the comedian did not shy away from poking fun at Duke. Besides making sexual comments towards Coach K, Burnham also targeted the Duke lacrosse scandal and the student adult film actress, both sensitive issues that have been in the spotlight recently.

However, the Burnham song that demoralized suicide left the audience feeling uncomfortable.

Under the guise of satire, a comedian can say virtually anything without feeling guilty because it is done under the pretense of humor. Satire is meant to offend, critique and conflict, but unless there is a valid social critique, the satire falls flat. Nevertheless, Bo Burnham's act was hilarious overall. His mix of wit and pure critique made for an enjoyable night that left the entire audience wanting more, and in Burnham's case, wanting a little bit more of Coach K.

Share and discuss “A night with Bo Burnam from my perspective” on social media.