SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke men's soccer breaks five-match skid on senior night

Senior Jake Butwin notched the first goal of his career in Friday's 2-1 victory against Pittsburgh.

The streak is over. After five straight losses, the Blue Devils found the energy to pull out a 2-1 victory against Pittsburg Friday night at Koskinen Stadium.

The win came at the perfect time for Duke: senior night. Eight Blue Devils were honored before the game, and several were major contributors, recording two assists, one goal and three saves in the victory. With the victory, the Blue Devils’ secured a spot in the 2014 ACC tournament.

“The senior night was a big deal for us—a very emotional night,” head coach John Kerr said. “They really brought a lot of energy. We started all eight seniors tonight, which was a really good ploy by us thinking about the emotion of the team.”

That intensity was present early in the game for Duke (6-8-1, 3-4-0 in the ACC), as both Blue Devil goals came in the first 10 minutes of action. The seniors championed this early drive and gave the team connection that it hadn’t shown in weeks.

Duke's first goal came just 6:45 into the opening period. After being awarded a free kick from about 30 yards out on the left wing, senior captain Sean Davis sent a soaring cross into the box. Pittsburgh goalkeeper Dan Lynd came out of the net to attempt to block the cross, but before he could, freshman Markus Fjørtoft put a header right over Lynd and into the net. The defender's first career goal gave Duke its first lead since Matt Slotnick opened the scoring against Davidson Oct. 14.

Immediately after Fjørtoft's score, the Blue Devils began playing like a more confident team, and their possession was significantly more consistent. Passes were connecting, players were winning balls in the air and pressure was placed on the Panthers’ defense. It was this energy that kept the home team on top for the rest of the game.

Three minutes after grabbing the early lead, the Blue Devils added to it. Sophomore Brody Huitema and Jack Coleman put together a phenomenal play to get a through-ball to senior Jake Butwin, who capitalized and put a shot past Lynd to make it 2-0. Playing on senior night, the score was the first of Butwin’s career.

“[Jake] deserves it. He really works hard. He’s given a lot to the program, so it was really awesome to be out there with all the [seniors],” Davis said. “With those eight guys it’s been a really special ride. We never thought this day would come. We look back and we have no regrets.”

One of those eight seniors who started Friday was goalkeeper Wilson Fisher, making the second start of his career. His first start was this past Tuesday at Elon, when Fisher had to replace freshman Joe Ohaus, who is still sidelined by a concussion. The Birmingham, Ala., native had three saves against the Panthers (4-8-4, 0-5-2), who were looking for their first conference win.

“I’ve been waiting my whole career for this moment—to just run out of the tunnel and to run out to half field. I really enjoyed it,” Fisher said. “I thought [the transition in keepers] was fairly seamless.”

In the second half, the Panthers put a lot of pressure on the Blue Devils’ defense, registering numerous breakaways and opportunities for goals. In the 57th minute, Pittsburgh’s Patrick Dixon drilled a hard shot at Fisher, who had a solid block. The ball shot into the air where it lingered for a second. When it came back down, the Panthers’ leading goal scorer, senior Dan Prete, was there to tap the ball into the back of the net to cut the Duke lead to one. But Fisher and the defense did enough to stymie the Panther attack for the final 33 minutes and prevent an equalizer.

Duke hosts Georgia State in its final regular-season home match Tuesday 7 pm. The Blue Devils will seek to improve their seed in the ACC tournament—which begins Nov. 5—Friday at Virginia Tech.

Share and discuss “Duke men's soccer breaks five-match skid on senior night” on social media.